Chapter 4 - The Beautiful Beyond

Deku almost turned to leave the moment he stepped foot through the door to the League of Villains' base. From the sounds of it, Shigaraki was having another one of his brawls with whoever had pushed their luck too far this time.

Deku pushed through the door from the entrance hall and caught Dabi's eye immediately, raising an eyebrow at him quizzically. The man pushed to his feet from the spot he'd sunk into on the couch and made his way towards Deku, an amused smile on his lips. "Welcome to the mad house! We're all crazy here." 

"No shit." Deku grumbled and shrugged his backpack from his shoulders. Shigaraki turned and curtly acknowledged his presence before abruptly leaving the room, disintegrating a table he brushed against on his way out.

"Damn, we just stole that." Dabi said as he stared at the remnants of the table. "But anyway, how was school? Do I need to kill anyone?" 

Deku huffed out a tired laugh. He thought back to his confrontation with Bakugo that morning and let a smile slip onto his face. "Nah, I think I got it covered." 

"Glad to hear it." Dabi ruffled his hair and left to fall back into the couch. "Who's your teacher?"

Deku hopped onto one of the stools lining the bar. "Y'know Eraserhead?"

"Him? Wow. Didn't think he'd have the emotional capacity to handle kids." Dabi absentmindedly started flicking through the TV channels. "Meet anyone interesting?"

Deku paused. His mind suddenly flooded with images of the boy he had met on the roof that night - the stranger turned classmate. 

"No."

He could feel Dabi's searching eyes on him. No matter what, Deku had never been able to lie to him. It was the bane of his life, constantly being an open-book whether he wanted it or not. 

In the end, Dabi shrugged. "If you say so."

*******

Todoroki frowned. 

For the third night in a row, he was alone on the roof. Maybe he had simply missed his mysterious friend, or maybe he didn't head that way anymore. He sighed and sat down on the edge, the same place as he had since the first night. 

Stars gleamed across the inky ceiling of midnight, and he briefly wondered whether the boy was looking at them, too. 

"Fancy seeing you here."

Todoroki flinched and whipped his head around. 

A shadowed figure stood not too far away, hands lazily stuffed into his pockets and hood pulled over his eyes. "This a hobby of yours?"

Todoroki's eyes widened as he recognised the voice. The boy from the other night. But now... there was something familiar about it. 

The boy tilted his head to the side and frowned. "Why the long face?"

Todoroki shook his head. "Who are you?"

A smile returned to the boy's face. "What, you don't remember me?"

"Of course I do." He stood and faced him. "I want to know your name."

The boy tutted and wandered over towards the edge. "You know I can't give you that."

"Why not?" 

The boy's tone turned stern. "I thought that would be obvious." He let out a sigh and squatted, looking down at the street below. "It's dangerous. For both of us." 

"Why?" Todoroki pushed, taking hesitant steps closer. 

The boy huffed out a laugh. "Heroes and Villains can't be friends."