CHAPTER NINETEEN

Doc had escorted me swiftly to the hotel, a direct request made by Virgil and Wyatt, just before they hauled Ike Clanton to jail. The confrontation amongst my uncles and the Cowboys seemed to ignite a whole new level of tension. There was hardly any sleep to be had for Doc and myself; an unwanted habit to which we had grown accustomed. All I could think about were the future intensions and ambitions we'd wanted to bring to life; those of which my aunts alone were fond of.  Laying in the dark, Doc's arms around me holding me to him, my mind raced.

"As much fun as it is to feel you squirm in my arms, you need to sleep." Doc grumbled suddenly against my neck, causing me to jump.

"Doc!" I hissed, "You scared me, I thought you were asleep."

"Darlin', when you can't sleep, I can't sleep."

I turned over to face him, his eyes still closed.

"I wished we could have spoken to Wyatt in private about Colorado." I said finally. "Every time we plan to do anything the damn Cowboys have to ruin it."

Doc's eyes opened slowly, revealing the bright blue irises I'd fallen so deeply into in the past few weeks.

"We can talk to him tomorrow, first thing," Doc said, reaching his hand up to my chin, "But why are you so worried?"

"I know what I said about not needing a guardian. But my uncles are the closest thing I've got to a father figure who actually cares for me. I just need to know I have their blessing, that's all."

Doc nodded silently, his eyes revealing his contemplation.

"I just want you to know," I began, "That I do love you, and I am excited for what is to come."

Doc's face softened, his eyes now filled with something else. He gently tilted my chin up to press his lips to mine.

"I love you," Doc replied.

My arms and legs became tangled with his as his lips worked against mine, the both of us now wide awake.

"Joanna," he breathed as he moved his lips down my jaw to my neck and shoulder.

"Yes?" I said with a shiver.

Doc's reply wasn't verbal. He moved on top of me, his arms holding himself up as we kissed. My legs locked around his waist while my hands found their way under his nightshirt and felt the smooth skin of his back. I shuddered in delight as his hips dipped down against mine.

Without words I knew we both were thinking of our interrupted outing by the river the day we saw Wyatt with Josephine. And with only a bed and a darkened room, nothing could interrupt us now.

"If it weren't for these clothes," Doc said breathlessly, "You'd have been mine a couple times over by now."

I reached down between us, stroking him through his underpants.

"Oh darlin'," he groaned, "You have no idea what you've done to me."

We looked into each other's eyes, vulnerable in our own ways. Without a warning, Doc pressed his hand on top of mine; stopping my movements but not removing my hand either. Doc's eyes were closed tightly as he turned to lay on his back. 

"What's wrong? Did I do something bad?" I asked, utterly confused at his reaction.

He laid there in silence, intertwining our fingers together before looking over at me. 

"Joanna, I cannot make love to you this way. It wouldn't be right."

"What are you talking about?"

He sighed, a pained look on his face now appearing.