déjà vu

Laughter filled the almost empty classroom as a lovely pair had broad smiles plastered on their faces. They were seated in the back of the classroom, disconnected from their surroundings, while whispers were exchanged between the two.

It was lunchtime. Felix, who hadn't eaten the whole day and who was starving moments ago, now felt sick. He packed away the sandwich he couldn't wait to devour, feeling somewhat empty. This time, the feeling of emptiness didn't come from his stomach but rather from his chest.

"If you were a transformer you'd be Optimus-fine." Hyunjin playfully blurted out while trying to hold back his laughter, tiny chuckles escaping between each word.

Another fit of giggle chimed in.

Felix abruptly stood up, causing the chair's legs to scratch the floor with a loud noise. The laughter died down, and even though he was facing the opposite direction, the boy could feel pairs of eyes boring holes through his back. He left the classroom quite remorseful, yet from his confident steps, you couldn't really tell.

The image wouldn't leave Felix's mind: how Hyunjin's hand twirled with her blonde hair locks. How he stared at her with gleamy eyes and flushed cheeks. How she rested her head on his shoulder. It all reminded Felix of the past because Hyunjin used to do that with him as well.

They used to laugh at Hyunjin's silly pick-up lines during classes, often getting scolded by the teacher. Hyunjin wasn't the best flirt but Felix adored his pick-up lines.

Felix couldn't move on. He tried to. Or at least that's what he told himself. But every morning, opening the front door, he still expected to see Hyunjin standing there with a backpack slung over his shoulder. He's still longing for lunchtime so the two of them can sneak on the rooftop together. And even during the evening, he'd wait for Hyunjin's "Good night" text, which never arrived.

They were classmates and Felix despised that. Because not only do they have to see each other daily, but they also must coexist in the same room for several hours. 

Yet Hyunjin seemed unbothered: like he completely forgot about Felix. No one could tell they were a thing before. Everyone is so happy for the fresh couple, complimenting them all the time. No one ever did that when Felix was Hyunjin's boyfriend. Not that he needed others' approval or appreciation. But it irked him to know that he got replaced.

He got replaced...by someone much better. Her naturally blonde hair was silkier than Felix's wiry dyed locks. Her eyes were dark; just like his own, yet they seemed to hold more brightness than Felix's could ever do. Felix was often told how his smile brightened up the mood, but she had a much lovelier and softer giggle than him. And her freckles dispersed uniformly on the bridge of her nose, not splattering on her whole expression... as Felix's freckles did.

Felix aimlessly wandered through the surprisingly empty hallways while jealousy boiled inside of him. He was growing tired; so, so tired of himself.

The blonde came to a halt stop seeing the white metal door just two steps away. He peeked around, checking to see if the coast was clear. The tears that welled up in his eyes threatened to spill any moment now. With not much thought, Felix pushed the door open and scurried in, making sure to leave it open an inch.

The sky was dark. The charcoal-colored clouds somehow reflected the heaviness of Felix's own emotions.

He chose to sit on the edge, plopping his legs over the railing and watching them dangle slowly.

The view from up there was peculiar. He could clearly see the schoolyard, the small shops scattered around the building, and even the park filled with little kids.