Chapter 5

Trigger warning: domestic violence

This world is unfair.

From the moment I wake up in the hospital...

...I was already a ghost.

I was lying next to an unknown girl but...

I already knew who she was...

That girl was always affable and cheerful. She was fun and caring. Then one day she fell in love with a man. And married him.

"I'm gonna be so happy." She thought.

At least in her dreams; her future was beautiful.

But then one day...

....the man changed. Something went wrong. Maybe he was sick.

"Help..."

"All the problems are happening because of you!"
"But I'm sure that I'm pregnant too!"
"If I divorce you, nobody will take you in."
"Give me a child! And it must be a boy!"
"Please be patient."

She stopped smiling.

On the third day of the birth...

...embracing the child in her arms...She jumped from the hospital roof.

When I woke up, I found that...

It doesn't matter if I stand next to someone or try to talk...

No one will notice my presence

No one could hear me

Jennie was walking ahead with her mom when she turned around...

So...

She smiled brightly at her

She became special to me

The girl blushed but smiled back

But...

I don't understand...

Why such a kind girl...

"Why can't Jennie see anything?"

The girl who has such a sweet laugh...

"If I don't find the right heart for her..."

"...Then she won't survive this fall."

Exactly...

...this is why you must disappear

The girl floated over the edge with anger as she watched the guy tremble over the edge. She flew up to the guy and with her hand she grabbed the guys throat and hold him in the air as he was chocking.

"You..why are even...people like you...living content lives?!"

The turned fully dark blue as he eyes glowed yellow and let go of the man, to fall to his death.

"He...Help!" The guy screamed as he was falling from the building. The girl saw him fall when she heard a thud behind her and looked at the book had opened.

"I will kill them all..." the dragon said.

I'll repeat the dragon's tail over and over again.

"Being a doctor is not so easy. It's difficult to treat wounds." The doctor said. "a wound inflicted on one second can take away the half of someone's life." The doctor said with closed eyes.

And again

"I know that you're not only physically injured...But my medicines can help you even a little..." the doctor said calmly.

And again

"...Then even an hour of my efforts will not be in vain!" The doctor smiled brightly.

And again

The dragon cried...and cried all night.

The dragon forgot about his hatred
He took the doctor and went far, far away

For a long time, the dragon looked for ways to revive them
He even sacrificed his precious treasure of pearls
And lost his ability to predict misfortunes

"Dear, I can't stay forever on this mountain." The doctor said as they looked at the moon. "If you can't stay with me then take me with you." The dragon said. "I won't let anything happen to you."

The girl calmed down a little but she was still completely dark blue as she stood in front of the book while she heard coughs from the man behind her.

The girl stood there thinking of Jennie's smile.

"If you are a ghost, then you must be a kind ghost." Jennie said as she smiled.

The girl floated as she kept looking at the book ignoring the man that started to runaway while holding his neck.

"T-there's a...G-Ghost in here!" The man said weakly as he still tried to breath while running towards the door.

The girl looked down at her hand.

What am I doing...
————————-

"Jennie is fine. She just needs to rest a little, and everything will be alright," the doctor said to Jennie's parents. Jennie's dad put his jacket on his wife as he hold her while Jennie's mom wiped the tears away from her her face.

"Thank you, doctor." Jennie's dad said.

The owl was perched on the windowsill listening to them.
——————-

Jennie sat in her hospital bed while hugging the teddy bear. She looked ahead, she perked up when she felt a familiar presence.

"You've come!" Jennie said happily as faced the window where the girl was standing as her hands and feet were blue.

The girl had a neutral face as she looked at Jennie. "Sorry..." Jennie said.
"I wanted to read that story together with you." Jennie said as she dug in her coat pocket.

"Here..." Jennie said as she handed the piece of candy to the girl. "This is for you. I kept this for you yesterday." Jennie said. The girl looked down and jumped inside.

"...Thank you..." Jennie whispered as she felt the girl pass her and looked to her left.

"Why are you...saying sorry?" The girl said as she didn't turn around to face Jennie. "It wasn't even your fault to begin with." The girl said and Jennie looked down sadly.

The girl started to shake. "I'm the one who's been deceiving you!" Her voice started to shake a little, Jennie looked up again.

"You don't have to be so kind to everyone! I'm not even human! I'm a ghost! One day I will turn into an evil spirit!" The girl said as tears started to form in her eyes.

"Spirits can kill people! I..." the girl started to cry.

I'm not worthy of your kindness.

"You will not turn into an evil spirit." Jennie said as the girl stopped shaking but she kept crying. The girl turned her head towards Jennie. "You won't." Jennie said as she smiled.
"You are very kindhearted." Jennie said as the girl turned fully around and faced Jennie as tears kept falling down her eyes.

She started to whimper at what Jennie said and cried even more as she tried to wipe her tears away. She walked towards Jennie's bed and got down on her knees as she put her head at the edge of Jennie's bed.

Jennie reached her hand out. "Because of you..." she put her hand on top of her head. "...I feel warmth."