Chapter 8: Winter Solstice Part 2: Avatar Roku

Rose wrestled with getting Crystal prepared to fly. "C'mon, girl. We have a long way to go and not a lot of time to get there." She turned to where Aang was saddling up Appa before adding, "If you're coming, you'd better hurry."
     Katara and Sokka appeared out of the shadows. "No." Aang disagreed. "You can't come. It's too dangerous!"
     "It's too dangerous for the two of you to go alone." Katara shot back.
     "Well, c'mon then." Rose responded, "We need to hurry."
     The villagers bade Rose and her friends farewell as they offered provisions to the little family. Rose and the others took off soon after.
     Later that night, the village leader was up late, walking around the village, when he was attacked. "Having trouble sleeping?" Zuko asked. "Where's the Avatar?"
                         * * * * *
     As Team Avatar headed toward the temple, Zuko followed. 
    "Sailing into Fire Nation waters?" Iroh reprimanded. "Of all the foolish things you've done in your 17 years, Prince Zuko, this is the most foolish!"
     "I have no choice, uncle."
     "Have you completely forgotten that the Fire Lord banished you? What if you get caught?"
     "I'm chasing the Avatar! Father will understand why I'm returning home!"
     "You give him too much credit. My brother is not the understanding type."
     It was then that Zuko spotted the dragon and flying bison in the sky and began belting out orders. The ship then shot a fireball at the group and they maneuvered, only to get bad news: a blockade of Fire Nation ships sat before them.
    Rose decided to head north, surprising Zuko. "She's not turning around?" His tone a mixture of surprise and worry. He mumbled under his breath, "You stupid girl, risking your life like that instead of turning around!" He felt a small amount of respect for her decision but he quickly shut down those feelings before they could become a problem for him, continuing with his orders. 
     At the blockade, Commander Zhao stood at the head. "Here comes the Avatar." He smirked evilly, turning his gaze towards the ship. "And the banished prince? This must be my lucky day." With that, he ordered his ship to send fireballs towards the group. 
     Some bounced off Crystal's scales, some, unfortunately, burning Appa's fur, while others landed on Zuko's ship. Rose and Aang worked together to protect themselves against the fireballs, the latter using his airbending while the former used shields. Eventually, they made it past and to the island.
     The group headed over a bridge and into the temple, finding it unnaturally quiet. Just as they thought they were in the clear, however, a group of strange looking men appeared.
     "We are the Fire Sages, Guardians of the Temple of the Avatar."
     With that, they attacked the group. 
                       * * * * *
     Luckily, the group managed to escape and met a Fire Sage that wanted to help. The group followed the Fire Sage through a secret passageway, explaining that the Fire Sages were originally loyal only to the Avatar. When Avatar Roku passed, they awaited Rose's arrival but she never came. Over the years, with Sozin's rule and later, his son, Ozai, the Fire Sages were forced to work for the Fire Lord. 
     Finally, they arrived. "Oh no! The doors are closed!"
     "Can't you open them with firebending like the other door?" Aang asked.
     "Unfortunately, no. Only a fully realized Avatar could do that alone. It takes five fire blasts at once."
     That gave Sokka an idea.
                        * * * * *
    After Team Avatar escaped the blockade, Zuko was surprised when Zhao let his ship pass. "Why?" he asked his uncle.
    "Because he wants you to lead him to the thing you both prize: the Avatar."
    Zuko felt anger build up inside him. Rose was his, not Zhao's and he wouldn't let him have what was his. "If he wants to follow my smoke trail, let him." He told Iroh. "I'll use it as a cover."
                       * * * * *
    Sokka's plan didn't work but it gave way to another plan. The Fire Sages rushed in, convinced Rose had gotten in, and, determined to keep her from contacting the former Avatar, opened it themselves.
    Once the doors opened, Team Avatar began fighting the Fire Sages, giving Rose the time to enter. Rose prepared to run inside, only to feel a hand grab her around the middle, the other covering her mouth.
     "Now, stay quiet, princess, and I won't hurt you." His hand muffled the sarcastic comment she would've made. With that, Zuko stepped out from behind the pillar where he was hiding with her. "I'm afraid the Avatar's coming with me. Close the doors." He ordered, starting to lead Rose down the stairs.
     As the Fire Sages gained the upper hand and began to close the doors, Rose, to her own surprise and amazement, was able to summon up a small portal to escape the prince's grasp and enter the room.
    "As much as I'd love to go on a date with you, a girl prefers to be asked first. Bye, cutie!" She flirtatiously blew him a kiss as the doors slammed shut behind her.
    Zuko and the Fire Sages tried to reopen the door but it wouldn't work. As the Fire Sage who helped Team Avatar explain his actions, Zhao appeared, relishing the thought of turning in two traitors to the Fire Nation.
    "You're too late, Zhao! She's inside and the doors are sealed!" Zuko shouted. She's safe from you, he thought with pride.
    "No matter." Zhao smirked. "Sooner or later, she has to come out."
                        * * * * *
    Inside the temple, Rose was greeted by a tall, old man in robes. "It's good to see you, Princess Rosalia. What took you so long?" 
    Rose bowed. "Avatar Roku, it is my honor."
    Roku waved her away. "Rose, there is something I must tell you. It is why I sent my dragon to find you."
    "Is it about the vision you sent me? The comet?"
    "Yes." He told Rose about what had happened in her absence, how Sozin used the comet to begin the war. "Listen carefully. Sozin's comet will return by the end of this summer and Fire Lord Ozai will use its power to finish the war once and for all. If he succeeds, even the Avatar won't be able to restore balance to the world. Rose, you must defeat the Fire Lord, before the comet arrives."
     "But I have only learned half the elements! I haven't even started waterbending, let alone earthbending and firebending!"
     "Mastering the elements takes years of practice and discipline but if the world is to survive, you must do it by summer's end. I know you can do it for you've done it before." Roku looked around quickly before turning his gaze back to Rose. "The solstice is ending. We must go our separate ways for now."
     "Will I see you again?"
     "Oh I know you will find a way." Roku said, enveloping her in a hug. "Danger awaits you at the temple. I can help but only if you are ready."
     Rose took a deep breath and her tattoos began to glow. "I'm ready." She said, opening bright white eyes.
     The temple doors opened, revealing a dark figure with glowing white eyes. The firebenders sent fire the way of the figure who caught the fire, revealing Avatar Roku, who sent it back. Everyone ran as Avatar Roku destroyed the temple from all around them.   
     Aang, Katara, and Sokka stayed, though, refusing to leave their friend. As the solstice ended, Roku turned into Rose who collapsed into her friend's arms in exhaustion. They leapt onto Crystal and Appa's backs.
     From his ship, Zuko watched them fly off, his thoughts far away with the princess who kept teasing him. 
     "At least if I have to be kidnapped and imprisoned my jailer is attractive."
     "I'm right here. And I have a name, Zuko. Use it." 
     "I'm sorry but if you wanted my attention, there's better ways than this."
     "As much as I'd love to go on a date with you, a girl prefers to be asked first. Bye, cutie!"
     With her teasing words came reminders of just how protective over her he'd become already.
     He held his head in his hands. What was she doing to him??

What is she doing to him? I think Zuko likes a certain redhead. Hehe