Chapter 3

I woke up the same way I went to sleep, completely and utterly happy. I didn't know that a boy could make me feel this way. Of course I have had my occasional attraction to someone. I had my first and last kiss in 8th grade-which I wouldn't even consider as a kiss. Because ever since I started high school, I became this instant nerd and no one wanted to talk to me (except my best friends).

I jump out of bed and don't really drag in the morning because I am excited to see Luke. I throw on pair of black jeans with a red flannel. I finish getting ready and go downstairs and get in my car.

While driving down my street, I see Luke walking towards the school. I slow down while he is walking and drive slowly next to him.

He chuckles and says "Em, what the hell are you doing?"

"I'm offering you a ride." I said laughing and give him a half hearted smile.

He seemed to think about it for awhile and then he said "No it's alright, I can walk."

I stop my car abruptly and say "hey wait, what's wrong? Did I do something?"

"No, no." He says and I stare at him confused. He lets out a grunt. "Ugh, fine." He throws his backpack in the back seat with mine, and climbs in the passenger seat.

I watch him, still confused. I continue to drive, until we come to the light and I blurt out "why don't you want to ride with me? I thought that since I helped you last night, I thought we were.. I don't know... cool?"

"We are cool, I actually really like you Em" I smile and red shoots throughout my face. And then he continues, "but I just think that we should only be cool like in private." He says.

I am stunned by these words escaping his mouth. How could I have liked him so much and he turns out to be such an ass. I didn't even reply to him, and just kept driving to the school.

He looks at me and gets a shocked look across his face. "Em, you have to understand...being the new kid and all its hard enough." He places his hand on my thigh, and a shock runs up my spine. I don't know what to do so I push it away, even though I wish that it stayed there.

We drive in silence for the rest of the ride there, and when we get close to the school I stop in the front, so that he didn't have to be seen with me. "Get out" I snap.

"Em I'm so sorry." Luke says. He takes one foot out of the car and looks at me for a couple seconds, then gets out.

Before he shuts the door, i snap "don't call me that okay." He nods, and slowly shuts the door.

I try and wipe away my teary eyes and go to the school parking lot. By the time that I am walking up to the school I see Luke already with his friends. And they are all laughing, and I connect eyes with Luke. I feel it lasted forever, when in reality it was only 3 seconds until he broke the stare.

I went over the Ava and Sophia, my two best friends since middle school. I told them everything and we talked about it until the bell rung for first period, which we normally walked to together to. On our way there I feel like I saw Luke a hundred more times than usual. Every encounter was filled with awkward glances and what felt like a big elephant sitting in the room. Although for the most part he continued to ignore me and carry on with his friends. Of course I tried to pretend that I didn't care and I was to busy with my friends, that's all I could think about, Him.

When lunch came, I quickly found Ava and Sophia. We sat and started eating our food when Sophia blurts out, "so have you talked to that guy yet?"

"Luke?" I scoff quietly, "No, I am pretty sure that is over."

"Come on Emma, you guys were cute, well at least from what you told me." Ava whined.

"Yeah, it was so cute how he told everyone at the school how he saw me half naked. " I roll my eyes, then continue "and how he was a closet sweetheart until he decided to cut me off because I would ruin his reputation".

They both kind of just stare at their food awkwardly. Of course I don't want them to think I am mad at them so I reassuringly tell them, "I'm sorry, I am just sad it didn't work out." They both agree and we drop the subject.

After school had ended and I got home, about an hour later, I hear a knock at my door.

I expected it to be my mom but when I open up the door, there stands a Luke with a guilty face.

"Em-" he starts before I cut him off by slamming the door in his face. Instead of getting my point, he sticks his foot in the doorway.

"Nope, can't get rid of me that easy."he says with a smirk.

"Then what the hell do you want Luke"

"Well can I come in?" He says, starting to step one foot in my house.

Even though I am only 5'6 and he is like 6foot and towering over me, I put my hand up to try and get him to stop from coming in even more but my hand lands on his chest and it stays there. Well, until I yank it down in embarrassment and put my blushing face towards the floor.

But then I look back up and say firmly "No you can not come in."

"Okay fine. Listen, I just wanted to say I'm sorry again, and that I still think that we could be friends like by ourselves."

"If you are too embarrassed to be friends with me in public, like hell we are going to be friends in private Luke. Your so ignorant, it's ridiculous. Goodbye, okay." I shout and then quickly shut the door so that he can't slip his foot in.

Does he hear himself right now? He makes me so damn mad. Why can't we just have a normal relationship. Here I was thinking that he felt the same way as I did, but little did I know that it was the complete opposite.