Chapter 5

When we pull up into my driveway Luke and I both get out of the car and I go up to the front door and I look on my little key ring for the house key.

"Are you sure your mom won't mind? Last time I was here she didn't seem too pleased with me." Luke said, stifling a laugh.

I laughed at the thought of Luke, who has broad shoulders and is 6 foot, being intimidated by my 5'5 mother, "No Luke, don't worry, she has meetings all afternoon til 7." he nods and smiles.

I finally get the key into the door and let both of us in. I tell him to wait in the kitchen as I go get the bandaids and stuff in the bathroom. He goes right into the kitchen and I turn left to go upstairs in my bathroom to get the stuff I need when I think, how did we end up here? I never thought that I could ever look at him after what he said and did to me, let alone take care of him.

When i come back down the stairs Luke is sitting on the counter in my kitchen. Honestly never thought I would be able to say that...

As soon as I turned into the kitchen Luke looked up from his hands and smiled at me. I smiled back and then sighed and said, "got the stuff." I can't help but to laugh because Luke looks like a kicked little puppy with no ego.

"Eh, no rush," Luke shrugged, "I think I can pull off the badass look pretty well, don't you think?" He said with a smirk.

Okay... I take back the ego comment, I guess Luke really does always have a generally big ego.

I roll my eyes and let out a laugh.

I get over closer to the counter he is sitting on and push his legs away so I can stand in front of him.

"Okay this may hurt a little..." As I put a damp washcloth on a cut on his cheek.

"Ouch! What the hell was that?!" He screams.

"Water, now stay still" I laugh. I swear he has the pain tolerance of an 8 year girl.

The rest of his face was done in most silence. Luke would stare at me until I looked directly in his eyes then he would look away quickly.

As I throw away the bloody napkin I used for cleaning his face off, he asks me "So what made you all nursey and stuff. I mean you knew exactly what to do."

"I used to help out at the preschool and you would not believe the amount of kids who fell off the playground equipment" I answer as I jump up on the counter next to him. "Can I ask you a question?" I ask and he nods.

"How did it happen? The fight, what did you do?"

"Oh, this dude just got a little pissy that I was making out with his girlfriend" Luke almost just seemed to shrug it off.

"Luke!" I laugh and smack him in the arm.

"What?" He laughs, "She was hot!"

Truth is, all that was going through my mind and body was what felt like jealousy. It kind of stung, like the feeling of your crush kissing someone else. Even if that crush is turning more and more into a best friend with every minute.

We are both still laughing when I hear my phone ring, so I jump off the counter and look at my phone. It's a text from Ava:

'hey me and soph are headed out to get something to eat, want to come?' I reply back with a 'sure!' and set my phone back on the counter.

Then I remember that Luke is here, I usually dont run into this problem because Ava and Sophia are the only people I really hang out with so I have never had the problem of deal with the question, 'who should I hang out with?'

"Is everything okay?" Luke asks.

"Um yeah, it's just that Ava and Sophia want to go to eat and..." I say, hoping he will get my point without me having to finish the rude statement.

"Ahh, I see" he says as he jumps off the counter, "your ditching me."

I stand there with a guilty look and say "I'm sorry, this usually doesn't happen..."

"It's fine. So where are you guys going?"

"Probably just that old pizza place down the street." I said still feeling kind of guilty, as me and Luke walk to the front door.

I open it and he steps outside and starts to walk home. Wow, I hope he isn't that mad about me leaving. So I yell out the door "I'm really sorry again!" He turns around and faces me and yells back "oh don't worry about it Em, you can't get rid of me that easy."

I laugh and close the door and think, wait what does that mean?

---

After I had gotten ready, which didn't take much, and drove to the pizza place, I met Ava and Sophia and we got a table. We ordered and were just chatting at the table when the restaurant door opened up and familiar voices filled the tiny little building. My seat was facing the opposite direction so I turned my body to look who it was and there was Luke and his friends.

So this is what he meant by 'cant get rid of me that easy'. It's cute, and a little flattering as well, but annoying. He doesn't understand that I don't think my other friends (mostly Ava) want them to be there. Ava just gets really crowded easily and she is just not good with change. Me and Sophia look out for her because of that. They have only just walked in and I can already feel Ava tensing up because of Ashton.

I put my head in my hands on the table like I am trying to hide myself even though I already know Luke is going to come over here.

"Hey! Look it's Calum, Luke, and Ashton!" Sophia yells as she waves them over.

I raise my head up and glare at Sophia, she gives me a confuse look and I glance at Ava. She finally realizes and says "woops, I'm sorry Ava, don't worry. It won't be awkward."

"Guys it's fine, stop worrying about me" Ava says as I finally feel the dreaded hand on my shoulder.

"Oh my goodness! how lovely seeing you guys here, may we join?" Luke says with an almost sarcastic tone as he pulls another table over to ours.

Luke looks at me and gives me a wink as they all sit down with us.