Chapter 42 - Whatever Happens

Wei Wuxian was hanging out in the back hills of Cloud Recesses. There was a thick patch of a green grassy field where bunnies were kept. He laid there surrounded by the cute little fuzz balls. All were hopping around and playing, or nibbling on the grass. There was one little bunny that nudged itself close to Wei Wuxian's face. It looked to be a juvenile still.

Wei Wuxian sat up, "hey Xiao Xue Qiu (little snowball),"he said picking it up and gently started to pet it, "if you have no name yet, Xiao Xue Qiu seems fitting."

"Then that shall be its name," Wangji said behind him.

"Oh, Lan Zhan," Wuxian said with a smile as Wangji sat beside him, "this one looks young."

"Mmm, he was born not long ago. He is from a small batch," Wangji told him, "it seems fond of you."

"Pardon me, I feel bad for calling you an it," Wuxian said checking to see if it was male or female, "you are a male."

Wangji chuckled, "important details must be made known," he said.

"So, what is the plan for today? More meditating?" Wuxian asked.

"Actually, you have a strong enough of a core now to practice swords. We will go to our main blade smith to have him start casting your sword. In the meantime, you can use the training swords to start with while you wait for your sword to finish," Lan Zhan told him.

"Really?" Wuxian asked, "I can get a sword?"

"Mmm," Lan Zhan nodded happily.

"When do we go?" Wei Ying asked.

"We can leave now if you like," Lan Zhan answered.

Wei Ying set the little bunny down and stood up, "then I will follow you," he said.

Lan Zhan led Wei Ying into Caiyi Town to meet with the blade smith. He was the one who forged a lot if not all of the Lan Sects swords. He was very passionate about his work and makes sure each weapon is made for the person specifically. He makes sure it matches the personality and body of the person.

"Hello Lan er Gongzi," the blade smith greeted, "what can I do for you today?"

"I am here with Wei Ying to get a sword made for him," he said.

"Ah, I was wondering when Wei Changze's son would have a sword made," the man said, "I'm glad you came to me for a sword. I need to take measurements of your body so the length of the sword is properly made."

Wei Wuxian did whatever was asked of him. Measurements, he had to test his strength and agility. Doing all this, it gave the blade smith an idea on how Wei Wuxian's personality is as well. The man seemed impressed.

"The last thing I need is a name," the man said.

"A name," Wei Wuxian said and started to think, "something that I think about a lot lately is a couple small phrases. 'Whatever happens, just let it. Whatever happens, let light guide you.' So it may seem strange but I want to shorten that to just Whatever, Suibian."

Lan Zhan smirked. He thought it to be interesting to choose such a name, but hearing his reasons, it made sense. He handed the blade smith his asking price and they would be able to pick it up in a few days. The two then went back to Cloud Recesses, and Wangji took Wuxian to the training grounds.

"This is a sword made for student to use when they are first learning the sword...plus it will be of use until your sword is ready," Lan Zhan told him.

"I'm ready when you are," Wei Ying said happily.

Lan Zhan started with basic stances and movements. Moving one foot one direction and positioning the body in correspondence. Basic swings and thrusts of the sword and creating a steady rhythmic dance. Lan Zhan made sure that Wei Ying learned how he did, but also to try and come up with his own, as each swordsman has their own specific dance and movements. Wei Ying took his teachings to heart and very seriously. This was the most amazing and best experience he has ever had. He has always dreamed of learning martial arts and now he is.

"Lan Zhan," Wei Ying said suddenly stopping, "Do you always feel like a sudden adrenaline kicks in when you fight?"

"It can, it just depends on the situation," Lan Zhan answered, "in heat of the moment it's good to remain focused and make sure not to get too lost in the fight as it can cause something to happen unexpectedly and make you distracted."

"How did you feel when you first got Bichen?" Wei Ying asked.

Lan Zhan smiled and held up Bichen to get a proper look at him, "I was honestly the happiest I have ever been in that moment. Bichen is a special sword to begin with. There was a sword selection happening when I was ready for a sword. There were six others with me. Bichen stood out to everyone but it didn't respond to them. The swords were meant to pick its partner. The reason Bichen is so special is because it has been in several sword selection events and it did not allow anyone to have him. My brother even tried to get Bichen, but when I picked him up, it glowed so bright and it felt like the sword and I connected to each other. It seemed as if Bichen had a soul and it connected to mine...just like your soul and my soul are as one," he explained.

"Wow," Wei Ying said looking at Bichen in Lan Zhan's hand, "he is a beautiful sword...just like it's master."

Lan Zhan looked at Wei Ying and smiled, "flirting with the teacher huh?" He teased.

"I am, I have a big crush on the teacher...I wonder if he is okay with being with a student," Wei Ying continued to flirt.

"Hmm, maybe, but it's pretty scandalous for a teacher to be with a student," Lan Zhan played.

"So..." Wei Ying said shrugging his shoulders and kissed Lan Zhan on the cheek, "I'm sure the teacher will be fine."

Wei Ying backed away from him in a flirtatious manner. Lan Zhan pulled a devilish grin and went over to him quickly, picking him up off the ground bridal style.

Wei Ying squealed, "Lan Zhan!" He said giggling, "what are you doing to do to me? I've been a bad student."

"I shall take you back to Jingshi, and punish you accordingly," Lan Zhan said.

As he carried Wei Ying, he put the practice sword away and then carried him to Jingshi. Wei Ying could feel his body grow hot the closer they got. He had a feeling, that it was going to happen soon.