Chapter 21

Katherine's POV

A long and torturous two hours have passed.

I didn't go asleep. He was right. I had a mild concussion. The doctors even confirmed it.

So now, I'm sitting in this waiting room with an ice pack on my forehead and my head in Malakai's lap. 

Despite the continuous anger that I'm still currently feeling for him, my head got so heavy that I begun to sway as I sat in the chair opposite him. I tried asking him to move so that I could lay down but he refused because he's an asshole. 

"Just put your head in my fucking lap," he said to me.

"No," I told him. He didn't like that. In fact, he took it upon himself to physically move my body down onto his lap and held me there.

That was roughly an hour ago. No other words were said as I patiently waited for the pain relivers to kick in and to hear the news on Blaise.

This idiot drove us to the hospital and told me to lie. And guess what, I lied. I told the doctors that we'd been in a minor car accident, which was true, I just left out the part were it was an intentional accident.

The pain from my headache subdued and lowered to a minor ache but I now understand what the nurse meant when she said the main side effect was drowsiness. After explaining how intense my headache was, she had confirmed it was definitely a migraine and therefore gave me pain relievers. They had pretty much worked but now my body was getting lost in a state of fatigue.

I notice that my blinking turned into slow and long flutters as my eyelids became heavy. My right hand was cupping just above Malakai's knee and my left arm was bent behind my head. I hate to say this, but I'm extremely comfortable right now. The heat from his body bounces onto mine, enveloping me in a comforting warmth and his hand that rests on the back of my head hasn't moved as he probably thinks I'll get up as soon as he moves it.

He's wrong. Half an hour ago, I probably would but right now, my body is too selfish to remove itself from this comfortable position.

My legs are bent and tucked into my chest and I feel so content right now, I just want to sleep but unfortunately I don't want to sleep on the lap of the man that basically tried murdering my best friend. Maybe if I pretend that my head is laying on Damon Salvatore's legs, then I'll find enough comfort to fall asleep.

But it's his next move that has my eyes slamming shut as his long fingers ever so slightly begin to kneed my scalp. I sigh in content and relax my stiffened body, releasing my full weight onto him.

Sadly, somewhere deep in my mind pulls me out of my relaxed state and I will my eyes open.

"Stop," I whisper.

I feel him drop the hand that he was using to scroll through his phone and the slight clank of metal sounds as he places it on the arm rest of his chair.

"Just sleep Katherine," he says softly and despite my protest for him to stop, he continues to massage my scalp, slightly adding more pressure into his kneading.

"If I wasn't feeling as drowsy as I do right now, I would stand up and slap you," I tell him truthfully.

"I don't doubt it."

A peaceful minute goes by and the soft rubs of his hand magically eradicates the last aches of my migraine, giving me the option to take a restful nap. I don't take that option, I decide to try and get a conversation out of him as talking will most likely keep me awake.

"I've blocked your number," I tell him. As soon as we got to the hospital, I whipped out my phone and searched for his number, I forcefully pressed the block button as if it would make him disappear.