Prologue

May 1, 2015

"Sensei can I Ieave now?" Horikita asked Chabashira-sensei, who was just calmly observing the aftermath of her little plan to destroy my peaceful life.

"Sure. You can go now Horikita. But Ayanokouji has to stay." Horikita raised a brow at this, but ultimately paid it no mind as it was none of her business.

Once she was sure that Horikita had completely left the room, Chabashira-sensei turned to me and I started talking.

"So, what do you want talk to me about Sensei?" I was getting quite impatient at this point. She had already made me waste time by calling me here and forcing Horikita to react to my scores. What's her agenda?

"I'm willing to tell you my story."

"Your story? But sorry I'm not interested. Besides, what does this have anything to do with me?"

"I'd urge you to listen to this story Ayanokouji, or you'll get expelled." That threat again, I can't really do anything against a teacher since they have authority. I may be able to in the future, but as of this moment I'd lose.

Chabashira-sensei paused and looked up to the ceiling, as if she'd just
remembered something.

"I was once a student at this school. I was in Class D, just like you."

"I must say that's surprising. I would've thought you were more
capable, Chabashira-sensei."

"Huh... Well, in my time, the class difference wasn't as extreme. You
could say that we were in a four-way battle, not a three-way one. Up until we approached graduation in the third semester of our third year, the difference between A and D wasn't even 100 points. It was a close battle, where even one trivial mistake could knock you off balance."

I didn't feel as though she were bragging. Rather, her story felt like one of regret.

"I'm guessing someone made a trivial mistake, right?"

"Yes. It happened rather unexpectedly. Class C went to hell because of
my mistake. In the end, my goal of reaching Class A and my dreams were
shattered."

I felt really sorry for her, but having her bring up her past was really
troublesome. If anything, it felt uncomfortable.

"I'm not catching your drift. What does this have to do with me?"

"I feel that your presence will be vital to reach Class A."

"What am I supposed to say to that? You're joking, right?"

I felt happy to have been praised so unexpectedly, but I didn't know
how to answer.

"A few days ago, a certain man contacted the school directly. He said
'expel Ayanokouji Kiyotaka.'"

Chabashira-sensei stared at me, her eyes saying that she was being serious.

"But I'm sure the school wouldn't just expell me on the account of a third party." While I already knew what Chabashira-sensei was going to say next, I wanted to make sure in order for me not to get expelled.

"Of course. We can't just expel someone on a third party's whim. As
long as you are a student at this school, you are protected by the rules.
However...if you cause any problems, that's a different story. Smoking,
bullying, stealing, cheating... If you cause any scandal, expulsion is
unavoidable."

"I'm sorry, but I don't intend to do anything."

"It has nothing to do with your intentions. If I determine that something
seems like an issue, it will become reality."