Chapter Five

Astrea Cullen

Edward had lived with us since I was four years old, and although we'd had our differences at first, our relationship had improved dramatically. He was a very lonely boy, and he was quite odd. Kind of like the quirks I had noticed with Dad. For example, they never went out when it was sunny, and I had never seen them eat with me. I had also noticed that some nights they would go out to who knows where and only come back the next morning before dawn. But the strangest thing was Edward's behavior. Sometimes he would look at me so meanly that I wanted to go underground. At those times, I was not allowed to go near him, as ordered by my father. Why not ? He wasn't going to hit me, was he ? Would he ? I had never dared to ask the question. But even so, we got along well.

- Well, there you are ! Dad exclaimed, as we entered the small living room.

He had prepared four glasses of wine on the coffee table. His smile faded as he met Garrett's gaze behind me. I glanced in his direction.

What's with the dark look ?

I had never seen Garrett so... angry ? Or frustrated ? From the surprised look on Edward's face, he had never seen him like that either. Was it because of my reaction earlier ? Damn it, it was legitimate !

Suddenly, as if realizing that everyone was staring at him, Garrett pulled himself together and walked over to Carlisle. The latter relaxed and the atmosphere became less tense. Glasses clinked, conversation resumed. One would have thought that everything was back to normal.

But he was still not smiling. What was wrong ?

- Astrea, sit down. Edward suddenly whispered to me.

I looked at him without understanding. Since when did he start ordering me around ?

- Unless you want to stand alone.

Oh, right... I had to pull myself together. I tried to concentrate on their discussion, but my mind was just going through the motions. Every time, my thoughts returned to my doubts about Garrett.

I was so engrossed in something else that I didn't immediately realize that the tone of the conversation had changed.

- Carlisle, face it, we have no other choice ! Garrett exclaimed.

- No. It's out of the question, and anyway, it's not up to you. Dad replied in a cold tone.

Furious, the two men glared at each other, and when Garrett spoke again, his tone was sharper than a blade.

- Well, it's true. It concerns me as much as you. You just haven't noticed it yet.

- Noticed what ?

- His smell.

Dad frowned.

- She's been living with us since she was born, I think if there was anything to notice, I would have noticed.

The tone was unmistakable, and made it clear that Dad wanted to end this discussion. Moreover, the little glances he was giving me in the corner made me understand that they were talking about me. Except that Garrett didn't think so, and replied again.

- You didn't feel it up close. Otherwise you would have noticed, too.

- What do you mean, "you too" ? His eyes flashed.

When Garrett didn't answer, Dad looked like he was about to explode.

- Garrett, what have you done to my daughter ?

Oh Oh... Big trouble ahead...

- Dad, wait...

- Astrea, stay out of this.