Chapter Two

As Bryce lay on the tile in his kitchen unconscious, his neighbor came rushing through the door, because he heard loud screaming and what sounded like someone falling. He saw Bryce on the floor, and immediately called the paramedics.

They took him to the hospital, and soon after he was in a room and given medication to help with his blood loss, he woke up.

"Where am I?" he asked, looking around at his unfamiliar surroundings.

"You're in the hospital, Bryce," the doctor said to him. "You suffered some blood loss and you were unconscious for awhile. Your neighbor said he saw you on the floor so he called the paramedics." he took a small pause. "Can you tell us what happened then?"

Bryce nodded slowly, processing the doctors words, and debating with himself wether he should say something about the abuse to the doctor. He decided it was the best option, considering he had nothing to loose.

"I... I was getting beat by my mother," he said quietly, as if she was there to hear what he said.

The doctor raised his eyebrows, surprised at what Bryce said. He walked over to Bryce's bed, and sat on the edge on the end, trying to start a better conversation with his sick patient.

"How long has the abuse been going on?" the doctor asked concerned.

Bryce sighed, counting back in his head. "It started about eight months ago, when I told my parents I was gay. They didn't want me to be, so they started to beat me, I guess to try to get it out of me, because the believed it was a heavy sin. I've always gotten beaten hard, but not nearly as hard as this last time, where I passed out."

The man in the white medical coat scowled, very concerned with Bryce's past. "How are things at school?"

"They could be better," Bryce lightly joked. "I guess I get bullied a lot, and I don't have any friends." He shrugged.

The doctor kept on nodding, then said, "Excuse me for a moment." He's stood up and walked away, but Bryce could still here his mumbles outside the doorframe. He came back a few moments later, with a clipboard and a piece of paper with what looked like a document on it.

"Son, I'm going to recommend seeing a teen group for Homosexuals for you." The doctor said.

"Okay..." Bryce trailed.

"It's for kids who have had hard experiences, like yourself. They can help you, Bryce."

"I guess I can try it," he said. He didn't really have any doubts about it, considering these people understand him and they really wouldn't have anything to bully him about.

"Okay, well there is a slight problem, the group is in London, so you would have to move. Now with your experiences with your family, I have contacted social services, and your parents are not allowed to live with you again. Social services recommends relocating to London if you want to attend the teen group there. And if you like, it seems like you only have a week and a half left of school, you can attend a university, paid for by the government until you are able to get a job."

Bryce was overwhelmed by all the sudden positive news. He would never see his terrible family again, he would be able to go to London, and he would be able to seek advice and actually be able to befriend people. "That sound... great, actually," he sighed an smiled. The doctor nodded looking pleased and gave Bryce the document in his hands.

"This is a document to show you approve of the situation. You can sign here," the man said pointing to a place with a long blank line. Bryce signed it and gave it back to him. The doctor eagerly took it, and excused himself. He returned soon after, without the document. "I have talk to social services again, and they will pick you up from here in fifteen minutes to go to your house to pick up your belongings and then they will take you to an airport, where you will then be picked up by other social workers, and taken to the London University, so you can sign up for your classes and get a dorm."

Bryce got up from his hospital bed, still feeling lightheaded. He went to the bathroom to change into his normal clothes, thanked the doctor, and made his way outside to wait for the social worker.

The workers arrived, and Bryce told them the way to his house. He went inside, and grabbed his belongings, and fortunately his parents weren't allowed to be in the house the same time as him. He packed the rest of his things, which wasn't much, and looked back at the place he loathed to call home.

~*~*