[The Power Broker]

The three made their way to Berlin, Germany to talk to Zemo. They arrived at a prison and were led down a corridor by a guard.

"He's just through that corridor," the guard informed, looking back to the three.

"Give us a sec," Bucky replied as the guard walked away. "I'm gonna go in alone."

Žofia shook her head. "No, not alone. I'd like to see my father."

"Why?" Sam asked, looking Bucky up and down as he pocketed his hands.

"Because you're an Avenger," Bucky reasoned. "You know how he feels about that. Fine. You can come, Žofia."

"It's not like you two were known for frolicking in the sun together," Sam said. "Žofia tried to turn you years ago!"

"He was obsessed with HYDRA. We have a history together. She also tried to trigger me five months ago. I got it."

Bucky and Žofia followed after the guard and as he continued down the corridor, it grew progressively darker. The guard said codes to the camera to get them further in and the door opened with a buzz. Bucky and Žofia went into the room. The walls seemed to have barbs sticking out. There was a glass door and wall. A rectangular ray of light shined on the ground, which held Zemo's feet and hands.

As Bucky walked closer to the glass, Zemo began saying in Russian, "Longing. Rusted." He stood, revealing his face. "Seventeen."

Bucky answered in English, "Those days are over. She already tried."

"I know. I just wanted to see how the new you reacts to the old words." He walked up to the glass and studied Bucky. "Something is still in there." He smiled at his daughter. "Hello, dear one."

Žofia returned his smile. "Hello."

Zemo turned back to Bucky. "At least you were not conscious for most of your imprisonment."

"That time wasn't exactly a picnic," Bucky said.

"For what it's worth, I'm sorry. As I'm sure my daughter is as well. It was never personal. You were simply a means to a necessary end."

"Someone is recreating the Super Soldier serum. I need to find out who."

"You are assuming HYDRA has something to do with this, which is why you came to me, which means you are desperate. Luckily, I know where to begin."

"What's the book you're reading?"

"Machiavelli."

As he left, Bucky pulled a tiny scroll from his pocket. He tossed the scroll on a table and left.

He and Žofia rejoined Sam and told them about an address they'd gotten from Zemo about a possible lead. The three looked around the warehouse with flashlights.

Bucky glanced at Sam before saying, "Žofia and I want to break Zemo out of jail."

Sam shook his head. "What are you talking about? What do you mean you two wanna break Zemo out outta jail? Have you lost your mind?"

"We have no leads, no moves, nothing." Bucky looked around with his flashlight while trying to find a light switch.

"What we have is one of the most dangerous men in the world behind bars."

"And we also have eight Super Soldiers that are loose," Žofia shot back. "Careful, that's my father you speak of."

Sam frowned as he looked at Bucky. "Zemo is gonna mess with our minds, especially yours. No offense."