7. Passion of Forever

Perfection

Perfection.

A simple word full of so much promise and usually unrealistic expectation. But not today. Today, perfection is the only word to describe everything around me.

The sun is lighting up the vast blue sky above, adding a brightness to an already clear day. And the water, the water is so perfectly still, rippling just enough to reflect the glimmering sparkle of the sun. The small laps of waves hitting the shore in a calming silence that edges the entire scene.

It's perfect.

But it's not just the obvious beauty of a warm, calm day. It's so much more.

It's the way my mom has a true glisten to her eye every time she looks at me in my simple, knee length dress, cut perfectly for a walk through the sand. The lace that trails its way around my waist, sinches just perfectly to every curve, and the small peeks of skin that emerge through the delicate designs only adds to the subtle sultry side I was going for.

This isn't my first wedding. It's not the only time I've stepped into an ivory dress, staring out at a vision of flowers and a vast sea of guests. It isn't the first time I'm about to promise someone forever. And that thought has played across my mind since Tommy placed a ring around my finger.

There's a difference in all of this, though. A feeling I never had the first time around. There was no obligation to make things picture worthy or to make sure the exact color of the tablecloths matched the napkins and flowers. There was no disagreement in an elaborate seating chart of estranged family members and embedded drama that needed to be separated. And there's no wonder about whether I'm making the right choice, no last minute urge to second guess every single decision and possible what if.

This time is different.

This time I'm aching to run down that aisle. I'm desperate to stand in front of the man I love and truly promise forever. A promise that without a single doubt in the world will ever falter.

The guest list was narrowed to close family and friends, kept intimate and meaningful. No stress about who should sit where or what the bridesmaids should wear. The dress option and color scheme was completely up to them. Because none of that actually matters. The only thing we wanted was to say I do in front of the people who mean the most to us. And that's exactly what we're about to do.

"Sweetheart," my dad's voice fills in beside me. "You're absolutely stunning."

I turn to see his smile, watching as that same glisten in my mom's eye fills his. My arms are already falling open as he steps in front of me, pulling me into his chest.

"Thank you, Dad," I whisper, holding him for just a moment longer. "Did you ever think you'd be walking me down the aisle again?" I laugh, trying to make light of the reality of my choices.

"Amber," he pulls back, his voice dropping low. "You know how much I believe everything happens for a reason. And you are not at fault for falling in love, for trying to make a life you thought would be your forever. And if you ever question that, remember that you did have good times. There was a reason you said yes the first time. And after all the pain and letdown, you at least walked away with Mia. She's what was meant to be. And now? Now I think you've truly found your person. A long road, but one that in the end, led you right where you need to be."