8. Love Overcomes

Every time I think I can't get any happier, I swear the universe opens right back up and says,"Hey, Sallow

Every time I think I can't get any happier, I swear the universe opens right back up and says,"Hey, Sallow. Look out below."

Just like that. Another heap of happiness. Another round of joy. Another day of fucking perfection that makes me wanna stop everyone I see on the street and ask them if they have any idea what this feels like.

I hope other people know what this feels like. I hope they know this goodness, at least once in their lives.

Sometimes, that goodness infiltrates my life so deeply that I'm tempted not to trust it. The cynic in me begs to be heard, pounding at my door and shouting to be cautious. We haven't always had it like this is the ever present reminder.

And some days, it's not just a reminder. In my line of work, that's been particularly true. Some days are harder, heavier, and often with a touch of gloom thrown in. That's life. But see, even on the bad days, I know everything will still be okay. Because of her.

And that makes all the difference.

She makes the hard times easier and the happy ones a million times better. She turns the average into spectacular, breathes life into places where hope seems far away, and uses love to glue broken things back together. And today, she became my wife.

Fuck, I became her husband. I never thought I'd be someone's husband. I never imagined making it to this day with the person made just for me. That we'd let love win over all the hardships we've both faced and become stronger. Together.

There's no better feeling than that.

Amber steps out of the car, her hand in mine, the skirt of her dress flowing like a cloud of ivory and lace in the wind. A beam of sunlight catches on her hair as it falls in waves down her back, and she looks downright angelic. My beautiful bride. My forever girl.

"Wife," I say to her, pulling her close as we pause in Trevor and Lacy's driveway. My arms wrap around her waist, enjoying the way her body molds to mine, the feel of her hands as they land on my shoulders.

"Husband," she whispers back, and up on her tiptoes, her mouth finds mine. She tastes like vanilla chapstick and the happiest day of my life.

"Have I told you how beautiful you look?" I force myself to drift back and hold her at arm's length, eager for another glance of her in this dress. Like I haven't already been staring at her all day. I can't help it.

She's a vision in wedding lace, the material hugging her just right while the intricate threads offer me glimpses of her golden skin underneath, setting me on fire at the sight of her.

"I think you did mention that," she mutters as she leans forward and captures my lips once more. Between kisses, she laughs and adds, "I lost count the twentieth time you said it."

"Just making sure." My hands grip her waist a little tighter, and I pull her against me. She's soft and warm, inviting.

For a moment, everything else seems to fall away and it's just me and her, getting lost in each other's mouths. Lost in the memories of what just happened on the beach when we swapped promises and smiles, proclaiming the tender establishment of our family.