Chapter IV

****

****

Ivy was absorbed in her own thought when the infirmary door opened, and James walked in, limping.
She noticed him, and stood up, walking toward him. "Jesus, Andrew." She muttered.
"I thought you decided to get outta there, Doc." He smirked, sitting down.
Ivy scoffed, looking at him. "Just took a day off."
"Yeah, I heard it's good for you. Getting some sun, vitamin D, isn't it?" James frowned.
She nodded, taking the kit out of the cabinet. "Is it too much to ask for a cup of coffee? The hole is... well, a hole. I'd do anything for some caffeine." His request seemed a bit odd since he never asked for anything, but she didn't have it in her heart to say no.
Ivy sighed, putting down the syringe and the insulin bottle.
James eyed the bottle, and turned his head, making sure she couldn't see him. "So, any news worth reading?" He asked, sneaking the bottle into his pocket.
"No, I don't think so." She hummed, walking back with two cups.

"Good, that's good." He said, smiling at her.
Ivy looked down at the desk, picked up the syringe, and frowned. "Uh, I-" she closed her eyes, inhaling deeply.
Her head was a mess, it was not a big deal. She just forgot to take the insulin bottle from the cabinet.
James' gaze fell on a book peeking from her bag. "You're reading Frankenstein." He said, surprised.
Ivy's eyes followed his, and she shrugged. "My friend had it and I needed to keep my head busy."
It was such a meaningless detail to everyone else, but not to him.
The only people listening to his words were people who worked for him, but none of them did it because they cared. It was just work. Orders.
But Ivy wasn't one of these people. She thought his words were worth listening to, even though she knew what he was.
She still cared about his opinion and treated him like a person.

"How are you liking it?" He spoke softly, his eyes fixed on the cover.
"It's a nice reading. I didn't expect to actually like it." Ivy admitted, rubbing his skin with a cotton ball.
James smiled, nodding. "May ask you about my prescription?"
"I'm giving you something, but this is not a solution, Andrew. Use this sporadically, and if I find out you're being selling them, I won't give you another prescription." Her warning wasn't needed, but she couldn't know that.
He was still an inmate, and inmates do a lot of things to get through their time.
"I won't. You have my word." He moved his hand on his chest as to swear honesty.
Ivy nodded, giving him a bottle with his pills. "I'll see you later for your second shot."

James was escorted to his cell in solitary.
The usual guard working with him took the handcuffs off his wrists. "Listen up, Jackson. You're gonna put two of these in Harris' food." He said, leaving the sleeping medication in the guard's hands.
"I'm not doing the killing for you. This wasn't the deal I made-" James grabbed him by the collar, slamming him against the wall of his cell.
The man glanced outside, hoping to see someone else, but he was the only one there. "I'm taking care of him. Do as you're told." James scowled, loosening his grip.
Jackson brushed his uniform, stepping back.
His eyes held so much contempt, that almost made James scoff in derision.
The guard still believed to be one of the good guys, even after putting dirty money into his pockets.
He left the cell, and after not too long another inmate arrived with the usual tray of food.