He'll be alright

"It's airing tonight are you buzzing about it?", Niall asked. The two were having lunch at a small restaurant, it gave them déjà vu remembering the first time they met. Harry has never linked with somebody so fast, he's forever grateful Niall is an open guy. He's the friend Harry thought he'd never find.

"Doesn't feel real right now", Harry responded playing with a napkin he was drawing on.

His single is dropping tonight at midnight; even though he says it doesn't feel real, he is shaking from anxiety. His heart keeps pounding and he can't think straight. All he has been thinking about is the fact that people will listen to him and his name will be out there.

He's not backing out or anything, he doesn't regret working with Ed and doing hard work for it to be decent. When he first heard the finish product, he almost shed a tear. He couldn't believe that is his voice, that it's his story, too.

"Ed told me not to tell you, but there will be a listening party here", Niall spoke rapidly but Harry caught onto every word. "Listening party?", Harry eyed him cautiously, he had an idea of what it is, he's just hoping it isn't true. "Yeah, a listening party. You don't have to go. But there will be plenty of people listening to your single live. It would be beautiful if you showed up".

Harry smiled looking down at his lap. People will be there listening. It's terrifying but exciting at the same time. Seeing their reactions or hearing their critics live is what scares Harry. What if they laugh right in front of his face?

"You can even hide and show up at the end, that would be funny", Niall suggested with a chuckle. Harry thought about that. He can hide and see their reactions. If people like it he can just present himself and if people don't like it, he'll just go home and hide himself from the world because of embarrassment.

"I'll do that", Harry decided. Niall looked at him surprised but his smile was sincere and that calmed Harry down. "I'll be by your side at all times, H. It will be perfect. Everyone will love it".

Harry knew Niall says this just because they're friends, but part of him still hopes that it's true. That people will like it and maybe he can continue doing more.

•••

It's almost eleven when he begins getting ready for the listening party. His fingers shake as he buttons up his black blouse, leaving about three on the top unbuttoned. He is in front of a mirror, his lips parted as he breathes through his mouth. He hasn't been this nervous in so long but this is a new kind of nervous and he doesn't know how to control it.

He eyes himself multiple times before deciding on a simple necklace. He has no idea how to dress up for this. What if he never even shows himself? He shook the thought away focusing on the present moment.

This day has been so long, he swears time is going by slowly on purpose. He checks the time for the millionth time today, it's only 11:13 PM. Harry put on his coat, which also happened to be black. What can he do? He likes how black looks on him.

Ed insisted on picking him up, Niall also rode in the car, as he was sat in the backseat looking fancy. It's a party not a met gala but Harry could care less about that. At least he is wearing clothes.

They got to the destination, hundreds of people were outside waiting to be let in and that's when it all hits Harry. It's going to happen in just a few minutes. Everyone will hear him and they'll associate a voice to his name that has been on papers for the past month or so.

He couldn't believe people even thought about coming, but then again, Ed was the one who put out the news and if Ed is going, his fans will, too. He doesn't care if people are here for Ed or whatever, at least people made it and it's not embarrassingly empty.