Chapter 07

Marco

. . .

Habang nasa biyahe kami ni Marco pauwi ng bahay gamit ang kotse niya, naalala ko kung paano kami nagsimulang magkakilala. The soft hum of the car engine and the rhythmic patter of raindrops against the window made the journey feel almost dreamlike.

Everything felt surreal after seeing Terrence, but I knew I needed to focus on the present, on Marco, the man who had patiently waited for me to open my heart again.

Nasa huling taon na kami sa kolehiyo noong unang nagtagpo ang mga landas namin. We were both BSN students, each navigating the demanding world of nursing school.

Sa bawat araw, ang mga oras namin ay puno ng mga lecture, clinical rotations, at endless study sessions. Our schedules were packed, leaving little room for anything else.

Pero kahit ganoon, si Marco ay laging nasa paligid, laging may ngiti sa kaniyang mga labi. He was the type of guy who could light up a room just by walking into it.

Isang araw, habang nasa lecture hall kami, napansin ko siyang nakaupo sa likuran, surrounded by his usual group of friends. His laughter echoed through the room, a sound that was both infectious and distracting.

Sinubukan kong huwag pansinin siya, pero mahirap iwasan ang isang taong parang may sariling gravitational pull.

During our clinical rotations, Marco would often be the center of attention. He was skilled, confident, and had a natural way with patients. Madalas siyang papurihan ng mga instructor namin dahil sa kanyang galing at dedikasyon. I, on the other hand, preferred to keep a low profile, focusing on my tasks and avoiding the spotlight.

Marco was the jock of the campus, always surrounded by circles of friends and admirers. He was tall, muscular, and carried himself with an air of confidence that made heads turn wherever he went. I could even remember the time noong unang pagkakataon na nakita ko siya; he was playing basketball, his shirt drenched in sweat, yet he looked like he just stepped out of a magazine.

It's undeniable that he had that air of confidence that drew people in. Para siyang si Terrence noon-laging nasa gitna ng atensyon, laging may kasama. His shoulders were broad, his arms defined, and he walked with a kind of assuredness that was hard to ignore. His eyes, a striking shade of blue, seemed to see right through me.

I tried to stay away from people like Marco because he resembled Terrence so much, but Marco was always persistent. He would find ways to sit next to me in class, or join me during lunch.

There was this one time na habang nasa hospital kami para sa isang rotation, nakita ko siyang tumutulong sa isang pasyente. He was calm and composed, his strong hands working efficiently. His gentle voice was reassuring, and the patient seemed to relax under his care. Hindi ko maiwasang humanga sa kaniya.

After the shift, as I was gathering my things, he approached me.

"Hey, Ethan," he said, flashing that familiar smile. "How was your day?"

"Okay lang," sagot ko, trying to keep my response short and polite. "You?"

"Pretty good," he replied, his eyes twinkling with mischief. "I was wondering if you'd like to grab a coffee later. You know, to unwind."

Nagulat ako sa kaniyang imbitasyon, pero bago pa man ako makatanggi, napagtanto ko nalang ang sarili kong sumasagot sa kaniya

"Sure... I guess."

From that day on, our interactions became more frequent. We started studying together, sharing notes, and even helping each other out during clinicals. Slowly, Marco began to break down the walls I had built around myself. Sa bawat araw na magkasama kami, mas lalo kong nakikilala ang kaniyang tunay na pagkatao.