Chapter 11

The Second Chance

. . .

"Ethan... please, no..."

The desperation and fear in my voice were palpable, and for a split second, I saw him flinch. He turned slowly, his eyes wide with shock and something else-perhaps relief, or maybe just recognition.

His face was a mask of anguish, and my heart broke all over again seeing the depth of his pain.

Ethan had always been the strong one, the one who faced the world with a smile despite the challenges he encountered. Seeing him like this, so vulnerable and broken, shattered me once again.

"T-Terrence...?" he whispered, his voice barely audible over the wind. His eyes were red and swollen, and he looked so lost, so utterly defeated.

I took a tentative step closer, my hands outstretched as if to reach him, to pull him back from the brink.

"Ethan, please... come away from the edge," I pleaded, my voice shaking.

"Pag-usapan natin 'to. We can figure this out together. Just... just don't do this."

He looked at me for a long moment, his expression a mixture of confusion and despair.

"I... I don't know if I can keep going," he confessed, his voice breaking. "Everything hurts so much. I don't know how to make it stop..."

My heart ached for him, and I felt tears prickling at the corners of my eyes.

"Ethan, you don't have to go through this alone. I'm here now, and I'm not going anywhere. We'll get through this together, I promise."

Slowly, cautiously, I took another step closer, praying that he wouldn't back away. "Please, Ethan. Come back to me."

Please come back in my arms.

He hesitated, his eyes searching mine for something-hope, reassurance, anything to hold onto.

Finally, he took a small step towards me, then another, until he was within reach. I grabbed his hand, pulling him into my arms, holding him tightly as if letting go would mean losing him forever.

He collapsed against me, his body shaking with sobs. "Bakit lahat n-nalang..." he cried, his voice muffled against my shoulder. "Gusto ko lang naman maging masaya."

"It's okay, Ethan. It's going to be okay. I've got you. I'm here." I held him tighter.

We stood there for what felt like an eternity, just holding each other, the weight of our emotions finally finding a release.

Later on, I found my own tears falling freely now. I am... crying?

Pinunasan ko ang luha ko at muling yumakap ng mahigpit si Ethan. It felt surreal that I'm crying again after such a long time. But unlike me, Ethan's going through it a lot harder.

Hinaplos ko ang likod nito at hinayaan siyang umiyak sa dibdib ko. It's okay if my shirt gets wet because of his tears. Kailangan niya iyon. At least this time, he has to release it all to someone because all these years, he's been crying in pain by himself.

And I know that I was one of the reasons why he was hurt badly. I left him because of my stupid decisions in life. And now I'm paying for the consequences.

But Ethan doesn't deserve the pain he's feeling now. That he was left behind by another loved one.

Yumuko ako at pinagmasdan ang mga mata nitong namumugto at nanghihinang nakakapit sa damit ko. My shoulder loosened..