Chapter 4

The next morning, I decide to sneak out to find breakfast. I want to surprise Pookie by setting up a princess-worthy meal.

I begin my search, and spot some yummy looking sap on a nearby tree. That would be perfect for a gal like Pookie. I begin to collect the sap when I hear a long hiss. Oh no.

I turn around and see Pato, who has an evil grin on his face.

"I was just looking for breakfast! I believe I have found something suitable for my taste," Pato says evilly.

"Leave me alone, Pato," I command, my voice shaky.

"So much like your mother. Too bad she had the same fate as you are about to have!"

"What?" I gasp. "My mother isn't dead."

"Ah, but that is where you are wrong! She is long gone!" Pato cackles.

"What are you talking about?" I ask. My voice was getting shakier by the second.

"That idiotic toucan didn't tell you?" Pato sneers. "He lied about your mother. He thinks that she is dead! And she is!"

"All lies!" I scream. I don't have time to say anything else, because an angry uncle lands next me.

"Hello Pato," Uncle Bombo says angrily. "Hey, how about you leave Frumble alone, and you can go eat some other helpless animal, okay?"

Pato laughs loudly. "Sure thing boss, I'll catch you and Frumble later." He slithers away, but he isn't offended, only amused.

Uncle Bombo turns to me. "Why on earth would you sneak out of the tree? Have you lost your mind?"

Before I can do anything in response, smoke fills my lungs.

"Come on!" I shout as the smokes became stronger. "Why us? Why do we have to suffer?"

"Frumble, it will be okay," Bombo speaks calmly. "But right now, we need to get Pookie and go somewhere where it is safe."

I nod. "Okay."

We fetch a very scared Pookie. She thought that we were going to leave her, but I assure her we would never do that. She gives me a warm smile that makes me tingle with glee.

Pookie and I once again ride on Bombo's back. I see other animals doing the same thing. However, I know that many animals won't escape this human-made fire. I feel terrible.

We fly until we find a tree that is suitable and far away from the burnt earth. Pookie and I are satisfied with the tree, but Uncle Bombo is staring out into the night.

"Kids," Bombo says suddenly. "I can't just leave these animals to die. I know that there are animals that can be saved. I'm going to go back, but I must leave you two here."

"I'm sorry, what?!" Pookie shouts, finally breaking. "I don't have any family, and now the one creature I trust is leaving me?" Poor Pookie begins to cry.

"You won't be alone, Pookie," my uncle says. "You have Frumble. Besides, he's pretty much in love with you," Uncle Bombo mutters that last part so Pookie can't hear.

I glare at my uncle. Revenge is written all over his beak. But just then, his expression changes to sadness. I know what he was thinking, I am going to miss him, too.

All of a sudden, Uncle Bombo gets very serious. "Frumble, I have something very important to tell you." My stomached flips. "I don't know if I am going return from this. Saving other animals is my main goal, but my life will be in danger. If I don't return in three days time, you must assume I will not return. Do you understand?"

Tears are streaming down my face. I can't face the possibility that my only "relative" may die in the next few days.

Uncle Bombo begins to cry. He wraps his wings around me, and we cry together. After about ten minutes, I realize that Pookie was staring at us, sad. I hope she likes a kangaroo with a mushy heart, because that is what replaced the solid heart that used to exist inside me.

"I love you, Frumble," Uncle Bombo whispers.

"I love you too," I whisper back.

We release each other, and Uncle Bombo kisses me. He gives me one last meaningful look before flying away.

"Well," Pookie says after he disappeared from sight. "I guess we better find some food and a water source before we die here."

Miserably, I agree. Pookie and I spend the next hour finding a water source. Close by is a thriving bush of fresh flowers. The same flowers that Uncle Bombo gave me for breakfast. I sniffle.

"Aw come on Frumby! I know you can do this! He'll return in no time. We just have to survive. I know you can be my hero," Pookie pleads.

"Okay. I can do that for you," I say with a firm voice. That's what I say, but here's what I was thinking: OH MY GOSH SHE GAVE ME A NICKNAME, AND NOW I WILL BE HER HERO, AND SHE IS SO BEAUTIFUL!

Pookie nods, smiles, and begins collecting flowers.