Chapter 5

Later that afternoon, Pookie and I sit on our new tree branch. We stare at the rain, but I know that she and I are both thinking about Bombo. I wonder if he will ever return.

"You know, it's really sweet that you care about your uncle. I mean, I know he's not really your uncle, but I know enough to know that you really care about him," Pookie smiles at me.

Before I know what is happening, Pookie kisses me on the cheek. I didn't know that tree kangaroos could fly, but I am soaring!

It takes me half and an hour to recover from the kiss. I think I'm in love.

A few hours later, Pookie and I go to bed. My bed is across from hers, so she can't see me glowing with happiness. I have never felt so happy. Just then, my uncle comes to mind, making me feel depressed. I fall into a dreamless sleep.

The next morning, Pookie and I wake up and eat a meal of leaves and sap. I wonder if Uncle Bombo had returned during the night, but I knew he would have woken me up if he did.

I began to stare at Pookie again, but this time, she says something.

"Why are you staring at me? You're acting as if you are in love with me or something."

"Uh, no! I mean, that's crazy! Why would you ever think that?" I am being hysterical.

"O-kay, if you say so," she says, obviously not believing me.

I smile sheepishly and leave our makeshift table. I climb out of the tree and splash my face in a small waterhole. It is going to be a long few days.

Correction: a few weeks. Uncle Bombo has yet to return, and Pookie and I have been waiting for three weeks. I understand that Uncle Bombo doesn't want us to wait, but I still have hope. Pookie has tried telling me that he's not coming back, but I have refused to believe it.

But, I woke up one day and came to the realization that Uncle Bombo was gone. Pookie tried to cheer me up even though she knew it wouldn't work. I appreciated the effort, though.

"Should we travel?" I ask, taking Pookie off-guard. We are currently dining on flowers and sap, savoring the sweet taste. "I don't know if we should just stay here, because I feel as if someone is watching us."

Pookie looks surprised, then thought for a moment. "Yes," she finally says.