Chapter 6

After breakfast, we leave our tree and begin to walk on the ground; we are too tired to climb. That is the worst decision we have ever made.

All of a sudden, we hear snarls and growls. Pookie and I turn around, and see two dogs and their owners running towards us. They are yelling at each other and chasing us.

"Bert, make sure ya have the net! These little suckers are endangered! I smell the money," a man shouts at the man named Bert.

"I'm trying boss! It's kind of hard to carry stuff and run at the same time!" Bert yells.

We run. That's the only way to put it.

"Hey, come back here ya little rodents!" the man who was not Bert hollers.

I feel terrified. I don't want to share the same fate as my loved ones.

Pookie and I turn a corner and see a small clearing.

"Hisssssss."

Of course, the icing on top of the cake. The perfect day. First, we move from our home, then we get chased by poachers, and now, Pato has come to finish us up for good.

"Well, well! Isn't this a pleasant surprise! The two love kangaroos making a pleasant journey to escape from the death of my favorite enemy. How adorable! Let's not beat around the bush: I'm hungry and you guys taste delicious," Pato licked his mouth.

Before Pato could lunge, a net was flung over his body.

"I'll let you go in a minute little guy," a man says. Wait, a man?

I look up, and see a kind face looking down at me. "Hi! Let's go take a nice visit at the nature conservation!"

Before I know what is happening, the man scoops me up in a cage. He then sets the cage on the ground, all the while holding Pato in his net. Then he does the same procedure to Pookie.

We stare at each other through our separate cages, both of us having no idea what is going on.

"You ready, Dr. Nancy?" the man asks an incoming lady.

"Yeah, but we have to move. If those poachers find us, they won't be happy to see us." The man nods as he releases Pato. The python glares at us, then slithers away.

"Let's move, Doctor Gills," Dr. Nancy says urgently.

Life has been hard, but at least I have been in my home, the rainforest. But now, even that freedom has been taken away from me.