Chapter 8

"I'm sorry..." Espresso's faint voice said. Madeleine just looked at Espresso.
"I'm sorry for being selfless and not thinking about your feelings." Espresso added. Madeleine then snapped. It was as if those words was what he needed to wake him back to reality.

Madeleine approached Espresso and wrapped his arms on the smaller man. Madeleine uttered "sorry.." over and over until Espresso stopped crying. Both fell asleep on each others arms with tear stains on their cheeks.

When Madeleine woke up he was alone at the hospital bed. He looked around seeing Espresso on a couch looking outside the giant window. Madeleine approaches.

"Do you think that people from the other building saw us arguing?" Espresso said still looking outside. Madeleine looked outside as well and then back at Espresso.
"I don't think so." Madeleine said. They both went silent. Both waiting for the other to talk or at least apologize one more time.

"I'm sorry." Both said in unison.
"I'm sorry about what I said earlier. I was caught up with my emotions." Madeleine said.
"I too am sorry–" Espresso said but was cut off by Madeleine.
"No need to say sorry. You did nothing wrong." Madeleine said. "If anything, I did. I didn't think to even understand your situation. I'm sorry I made you felt unsafe around me." Madeleine added.
"Still. I'm sorry for leaving you hanging for a very long time." Espresso said.
"Can you look at me?" Madeleine requested.
"I'm still ashamed. Maybe later if I cleared my mind." Espresso said.
"I'll give you space then. I'll come back this evening and hopefully we can talk properly." Madeleine said. Espresso just nodded and they both went on with their day.

Madeleine taking care of the university affairs and Espresso hanging out with Almond. Telling each other stories of what happened before the incident.

"Should I risk again?" Espresso said. Almond was confused for a moment before understanding.
"Well, if you're ready to try again but as your friend who has known you for years, I think you already know what you want." Almond said. Espresso admits. Before asking the question he has thought about it.
"Well I should get going. It's family movie night." Almond said.
"When I get out of here I'll steal your daughter's." Espresso said. Almond chuckled.
"Alright." Almond said and left.

Espresso was left alone once again. Looking up at the ceiling and hearing faint footsteps coming from outside the room but it was still silent. It was then broken when two pairs of footsteps went in. There could be two options on who it is. It could be Madeleine and someone else or the nurses that comes to check on him. He was wrong.

"Good evening, Espresso." A vaguely familiar voice said. Espresso jolted up seeing that the person who talked was none other than Madeleine's parents.

"What are you doing here?" Espresso said panicking.
"You're trembling." Madeleine's mother said.
"I-I'm sorry." Espresso said.
"We want to talk to you about our son." Madeleine's father said. Espresso already knows what's happening. They'll threaten him to stay away from Madeleine again and he'll have to go away, again. For a minute he just wanted to be with the man he loves but that wasn't possible at this time. They already know. It did surprised him that it took them this long to know but he was a little thankful. He get to see and talk to Madeleine at least for the last time.

"His grandfather talked to us earlier. As you know his grandpa loves him dearly and they're quite close. He told him about what happened before and now he's sending us to apologize." Madeleine's mother said rubbing her head.
"No need for that. I know you hate the idea of your son dating men. Don't worry I'll volunteer on staying away from him. You won't hear from me again." Espresso said.
"Now look what you've done to the child. He's traumatized because of you two." A voice said as it enters the room.
"I'm very sorry for their behaviour. I'm Madeleine's grandfather." The old man said.
"You both have my blessing. There's no need for you to run away again." Madeleine's grandfather said.
"Dad, please let us handle this." Madeleine's father said.
"Nonsense. Last time you "handled this" you made the poor boys depressed." The grandfather said.
"I'm a little confused." Espresso said.
"Oh don't be, dearie. As I said you and my grandson have my blessings. In this family I'm the one incharge." Just as Madeleine's grandpa said that, Madeleine came into the room with Espresso's favourite flowers.

"What the hell are you all doing here?" Madeleine asked confused.
"I'm just talking to him. Don't be dramatic." The grandfather said.
"Everyone just go back home. We'll talk there. Leave the poor man alone he just recovered from a gun shot." Madeleine added. The three older then left with disbelief in their face. They didn't know the reason why Espresso was there on the first place. They just went in to clear things up. At least that's what they wanted to happen.

"I'm sorry about them. My grandfather is a bit extra." Madeleine said.
"It's fine." Espresso said laying back down.
"Is your wound okay?" Madeleine asked.
"Yeah. It opened earlier but it's fine now." Espresso said. Madeleine was worried. What did the man did for the wound to open again.

"Have you eaten yet?" Madeleine asked placing the flowers he bought on a vase across the room.
"Not yet." Espresso said as his stomach grumbled. Madeleine chuckled.
"Here. I brought something to eat. Hope you like it." Madeleine said.
"Of course I'll like it. It's sushi." Espresso said and started munching down his dinner.

Madeleine stares lovingly at Espresso. He hasn't changed at all. They both haven't. Espresso was still grumpy but once you get to know him, he'll eventually soften up to you. We then have Madeleine who's always straight forward and blunt. Whatever he has on his mind, he will say it immediately. He will always take responsibility on whatever he's done and is a very caring person. But this time he needs to apply something he hasn't done before. Being patient.

After Espresso was full, Madeleine handed him a bottle of water. Madeleine then took the container off of Espresso's hand and placed it on the table across the bed.

"Are you feeling okay?" Madeleine asked.
"Yeah." Espresso said still not looking at Madeleine.
"Are you still embarrassed?" Madeleine asked knowing the answer already.
"I guess. Yeah I still am." Espresso admitted.
"Can I talk then?" Madeleine asked. Espresso nodded.

It was silent for a couple of minutes after that interaction. Madeleine has a lot to say on his mind but don't know where to start. Every time he tries to open his mouth he always changes his mind. He can't afford to mess things up and start an argument again.

Espresso can't handle the awkward atmosphere anymore.

"If you're not going to talk. I will." Espresso said now facing Madeleine.
"I like you. Will you be my boyfriend again?" Espresso said bluntly.

Madeleine was flabbergasted.
"I– what?" Madeleine stuttered. "No!" Madeleine added.