Part 1

Hey Wattpad people!
Before you start reading this, I'd like to give you a little warning first. It's the first story I've ever written, and it's pretty cliché. Scrap that, it's extremely cliché. It's also not written very beautifully. Like, not at all. What can I say, I was 13/14 when I wrote it and English is not my first language (I'm Dutch).

If you still want to read this, because you like these kind of low-quality, cliché stories; be my guest! But don't give me hate in the comments about it being predictable and badly written; I warned you!

That being said, for the ones who do want to read this: enjoy this story while you can, because I'm planning on taking it down. It's just too embarassing.

Love, Fleur

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sighed as I gazed out of the car window. It wasn't a sad sigh, more like an I-am-really-tired-sigh. I had travelled all the way from Holland to get here, and now I had finally arrived in America. I was exhausted from the long journey.

I thought back to how my mom had dramatically cried at the airport. My mom had always been a little bit dramatic, but this time she'd really made a scene. she had hugged me and was crying as if it was the last time she would ever see me. I remembered my cheeks reddening as I saw people looking strangely at us. I was sure Theo would remind me of that embarrassing moment from time to time.

Theodor was my twin brother. He was also my best friend in the whole world. We've always done everything together, since we were born. He was the reason why I felt like this journey was kind of bittersweet for me.

A big part of me was happy and excited, I'd always wanted to leave the Netherlands and go live somewhere else. Not that I hated it there, it was a lovely country and I had enough friends and everything. I just really needed a change, maybe just for a couple of months. I had finished my school and was ready for adventure. I was sort of taking a gap year, except this was a gap-couple-of-months. I had always wanted to go to America, so I did. I'd found an apartment, in a town that wasn't too big or too small.

I would have to share the apartment, but that didn't matter. I hoped the guy that lived there would be cool. Yeah, a guy. I know. I kind of would have preferred to have a girl as my room mate, but this guy had a nice looking apartment and didn't ask for as much rent as most others did, and so the deal was quickly made. Besides, it wasn't like I never hung out with boys anyway, as I was with Theo like ninety-nine percent of the time.

And that brings me to the other part of me, the 'bitter' part of the bittersweet feeling I was having. Theodor wasn't coming with me. We'd discussed the whole thing for a long time, like we always do with everything, but Theodor didn't want to go 'on an adventure', as he called it. He wasn't the type of person to come out of his comfort zone. He was fine in the small town where we grew up, and he didn't have any plans of leaving it soon. I, on the other hand, got bored there, and needed a change. And maybe, it would be good for us too, to be separated for a while, to learn to live without the other.

A bump in the road brought me back to reality. I sighed my tired-sigh again and decided to start a conversation with the taxi driver, just to get my mind off Theo and also to get used to speaking English all the time.

"Are we almost there?" I asked him, trying to sound interested.

"Hmm, we'll be there in like ten minutes." He answered grumpily. It didn't sound like he wanted me to continue the conversation, so I didn't.

I fished around in my bag until I found my iPod, and put my headphones in, fixing my eyes on the road again. The music roamed around my ears as the sight of trees and houses quickly passed. I smiled as my favourite song came on, and hummed along with the melody.