Chapter 27: We're an American Band

Side A: Oz

Side A: Oz

I don't have my guitar, and I feel naked. Especially standing in front of this motley crew.

"Okay guys, here's the deal. We need a video, and we need it ASAP. We just need to play one song that sounds halfway decent. I don't care which song. We need to pick one, fast, because we have a hard deadline. Monday."

"Deadline for what?" Reece asks.

I sigh.

"Our first band failed auditions," Dave says. "And Oz talked Miss Burgess into giving us a second chance. We have until Saturday to give her an audition video."

I turn to Mitzi, who is sitting with her hands moving all over the place. She's biting her nails, then she's crossing her arms, then she's sitting on her hands, then she's bouncing her legs, all the while looking around the room.

"Mitzi here is an amazing singer, so I will defer to her judgment on song choice." I pause, then add, "Obviously, I want something heavy metal, or classic rock. Something with a good guitar solo." After a moment, I shake my head. "Don't worry about that. I can add a guitar solo later."

Everyone looks at Mitzi, and she shrinks in on herself. "Um," she says after an awkwardly long pause.

"Okay, how about we all offer up some suggestions, and Mitz can decide what she thinks works best for her voice." Anything to get this ball rolling.

"What about CCR?" Dave says. "Classic. Who'll Stop the Rain? Do you know what one?"

"Um," Mitzi says.

"I think if we have a girl lead singer, we should at least pick girl songs," Reece says. "Like, how about some Hole? Courtney Love is an icon."

"Or Joan Jett. You said you like Joan Jett, right?" I ask Mitzi.

"Um," Mitzi says.

"Yeah!" Reece agrees with me? My jaw drops. He's super excited about this. "I don't give a damn about my reputation! That should be our song!"

Dave nods enthusiastically.

"Mitz? What do you say?" I ask, already knowing her answer.

"Um," she says.

I put my hands on my hips. I know I forced her into this, but the girl can sing. She's cute and she likes these songs, she told me so.

"Mitzi," I say.

"Um," she says.

"Mitzi, look at me."

Her eyes dart in my direction.

I speak as clearly as I can. "Do you want to sing Reputation by Joan Jett? Yes or no?"

She stares at me, and for a hot minute I think she's gonna keep staring at me and not even say Um. Then, holding my gaze, she nods.