Chapter 33: Gonna Give It All We Got

Side A: Mitzi

Side A: Mitzi

"Ladies and Gentlemen!" booms a voice from the auditorium. Everyone backstage quiets. "Welcome to the 13th annual Montbourne Idol concert!"

The applause is huge, more than I could imagine the auditorium having capacity for.

My palms are sweating, and I can't wipe them on my leather pants. I might have to throw up again.

"This concert showcases the vocal and musical talents of our students. Tonight you will hear a range of music from current pop hits to country and even a few classics."

I swallow hard and lean against the wall. Miss Burgess is lining everyone up by order of our performances. I've been in line for ten minutes already, holding my place even as others in line dart off to the bathroom or to check their makeup or to run out front to talk to their parents or friends.

"There you are!" Cameron's familiar voice washes over me. "Are you okay?"

"Fine," I manage to say through the bile rising in my throat.

"You look awesome!" he says. "Where's Oz and the other guys? I thought he was playing guitar on your solo."

"Me too," I gag, then bolt across the hall to the bathroom, where I throw up again.

"Damn," squeaks a girl behind me.

I lift my head and flush the toilet, then stagger to the sink and gulp down some water.

"I'm glad I'm not the only one with nerves!" the girl giggles. I look at her in the mirror, afraid to see that my makeup is ruined. She's wearing a cowboy hat over her hair, which is in two braids, and a cute blue peasant dress with cowboy boots. "Do you want a mint?"

I take a mint. "Thanks."

"You have nothing to worry about," she tells me. "I mean, I saw in rehearsal what happened, but seriously? Your voice is amazing. Me, I'm worried I won't be able to hit the high note at the end of my song." She grimaces. "God, I'm sorry. I babble when I'm nervous. What number are you?"

"Five," I tell her, then clear my throat. I need to do some vocal warmups or I'm going to sound like I smoke a pack a day.

"I'm third. Guess we should get out there, huh?"

We can both hear the audience cheering, and the first performer's music playing.

Cameron's eyes are wide when he sees me. "Damn, are you okay? Here, I got you a bottle of water. Let me grab Lacy, she'll fix your makeup."

I gulp some water and accidentally swallow the mint, then start coughing and can't stop. This is bad. This is my worst nightmare.

A cute brunette follows behind Cam. "Hi!" she says, whipping out a little kit with various powders and brushes and wipes. "Oh, your makeup doesn't look too bad. Stage fright, huh?" She takes a wipe and carefully rubs under my eyes. "Seriously, it just looks like smoky eye. You're going to be fine."