CHAPTER NINE

'What!'
Caitlin was on her feet. The glass fell out of her hand onto the table breaking into three pieces.

Nicholas quickly looked with concern to make sure she was not hurt, but held his stoic expression. Greg Sinclair stood up as well.

'That's wonderful. Why yes,' her father smiled, shaking Nicholas' hand.

'No!' Caitlin yelled. 'Are you still drunk Nicholas?'

'No.' He replied calmly, his eyes challenging her.

She refused to be baited by him.

'Are you pregnant Caitlin?' Her father asked.

'Dad!'

She could not believe the conversation they were having at the breakfast table.

'Nicholas retract your proposal,' Caitlin instructed.

'No.' He refused pointedly.

Stubborn and pig headed. That's the man I love.

Caitlin looked at her mom. Her mom's eyes pleaded with her to accept.

So does he think he should marry me because it was the right thing to do, in case we had had sex last night?

'Honey this will be a wonderful union, I know Nick cares about you. You will be happy,' her father pleaded.

'Dad this is my life, not a business transaction,' she cried out 'you can't sign my life away on the dotted line!' she yelled at her father.

She had never raised her voice at her parents in all her life. She looked at her mom for support.

'Mom, are you going to allow dad to just arrange a marriage for me?' Caitlin questioned her mom.

'No darling, I won't. I will support whatever your heart's desire is!' Her mom spoke looking into her eyes.

Touché mom!

Her mom could have knocked her over with a feather.

'I am not marrying him,' she spoke to her mom.

'Yes darling,' was all her mom replied.

Caitlin cringed, she loved her mom, but right now, wanted to shake some sense into her mom.

'Caitlin, can I have a word with you?' Nicholas' voice was deadly quiet.

To repeat your half baked proposal.

She glared into his eyes. He stood there unmoved by her temper tantrum.

'No Nicholas. And I am not marring you,' she hissed. 'And this subject ends right here.' He made to walk towards here.

'Sit down and eat your breakfast,' she instructed him. 'You did not have dinner last night. Mom, dad, I'd appreciate it, if this conversation is not repeated.' Caitlin kissed her mom. 'I'll see you at the rehearsal,' she murmured.

Caitlin grabbed her keys and drove her SUV to the lake. She could hardly see, her eyes were blurred with tears.

'Damn you, Nicholas Brenthurst!" she yelled.' 'I would have been more receptive to your proposal, if it was preempted by how you felt, but no none of that. And then there is that tiny insignificant matter of a lack of trust on your path,' she swiped her wrist over her eyes, trying to brush the uncontrolled tears away. 'What kind of a marriage would I have to endure, with your irrepressible rage of jealousy, every time a man looked at me?' she drove on furiously, the picturesque rain forest like surroundings not even visible on her radar, as she spun her vehicle around aimlessly. Caitlin climbed out and walked to the falls. She wished she didn't have to go anywhere, but it was her duty to Stuart and Rebecca. She sat on the huge boulder, her feet dangling below. She longed to jump into the cool, refreshing water, but did not have the luxury of time. Caitlin tried to analyze Nicholas' marriage proposal. He did not trust her. He did not love her. All he wanted was to take her to bed. They shared a physical attraction, yes, but was that good enough reason for him to propose marriage? What if he tired of her after a year or five years? What happens when the spark between them fizzles out? She could not believe that her dad was acceding to Nicholas' proposal, as if it was a business transaction, or did he also suspect how she felt about Nicholas.