CHAPTER TWELVE

Why? Would he actually buy the company just to manipulate their personal situation? He couldn't be that stupid and pay an overrated market price for shares in a company that's of no importance to him. Granted the total money he would fork out as the major partner was perhaps a drop in the ocean and won't even dent his bank balance. But would he go to that extreme!

 'Are you still with me Caitlin?'  

'I have to leave, Dex'

 'But we've not ordered lunch!'

 'Sorry,' she cast him an apologetic half smile, 'but quite frankly I don't know who I can trust at Telstar. I went to test the chairman earlier today, I think he's in on it. Simon does not seem to be suspicious though. Seemingly, I was the only paranoid one, only I'm actually not really paranoid, am I?'

'Why don't you go on a shopping spree?' Dex challenged, still studying the menu hungrily.

'What good is that?  I'll just be a minority shareholder, in no position to negotiate.

You could not fight Nicholas without a full arsenal, it would be suicide.

'I wish I did not need to drive back, I'm so tempted to indulge in a rather strong drink.'

Caitlin called Simon again, as she left her aborted luncheon.

'Where are you, sounds like you're having a bloody party,' Simon laughed.

'Simon, I need to see you right away,' He seemed to take his time to answer.

'Is your allegiance with somebody else Simon?' She demanded.

'No Kid, let's meet where we did earlier.'

 Caitlin sat across the table from Simon, not knowing if she could trust him.  Her gut instincts told her he was above reproach, but right know there was so much confusion in her brain, she didn't know whom she could trust.

'Simon I need you to level with me. 
I know Giles Preston is holding out. I need to know where you stand.'

'I support you one hundred percent Kid. I know nothing.'

'Simon do you suspect something untoward is going on?'

'I have no access to Telstar records. I can only read information that has public access status, and that does not tell me much.'

'Would you believe me, if I told you that a hostile takeover is being staged?'

'What? Why would someone stage a hostile bid?'

 'Suppose it was Nicholas?' she baited.

He raised his eyebrows, studying Caitlin's eyes, 'you know Caitlin there is this saying that 'Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned... It should be rephrased to 'Hell hath no fury like two lovers scorned!' he finished.

'What?' she asked confused.

'You and Nicholas should bloody get married!' he hissed.

We're not lovers!

She cast her eyes downwards.  It was the first time he'd used that tone of voice on her.

'What are you going to do?' he asked his voice soft again, as if he realized his earlier anger, had hurt her.

'I'm going to resign, before he assumes the Chairmanship.  I cannot work for him Simon, I can't', she shook her head helplessly.

'Telstar needs you.  I need you,' he pleaded, 'you can't just up and run.'

Caitlin shut her eyes for a moment.  She'd hate to leave Simon in the lurch, but she'd lose her mind and be a total nervous wreck if she had to stay with Nicholas at the helm of the company. He'd use seduction to ride rough shod over her, and Caitlin knew she could not stand up to Nicholas, not when his mere presence had such a devastating effect on her sanity. 
No she had to resign, there was no other way.