NICE TO MEET YOU

2nd Grade

2nd Grade

"Hello!" I yell to the top of the play structure. His head pops over and he looks down at me with his greenish brown eyes. I push up my glasses feeling my words get stuck in my throat. He stares at me before coming down the slide, I walk over to him and he stands in front of me waiting for me to say something. "I um" I pull on my fingers.

Calm down.

"I'm Isla, Swings?" I rush out my introduction and point at the swings. He looks before agreeing. I run behind him and get on the swing, swinging my legs to gain momentum. He gives me a starter push before sitting down on the swing.

"I'm Roman" he talks to me while I swing and I hum "Roman is a nice name" I feel the warm air brush my skin as he watches me swing "I like your hair" he points and I drag my feet on the bark slowing myself down. I feel my body getting warm. I didn't really like my hair today.

"Like Minnie Mouse" He points out the two puffs on my head and I smile "I like Minnie Mouse. I-I want to go to Disneyland too" I hold the chains of the swing and he shrugs "My dad wants to take me, but I'm okay" he kicks the bark and I hum.

"I like your eyes, like a tree, green and brown" I point out and I notice his tan freckled cheeks turn a pink shade "Yeah, my mom calls me handsome" he looks at me and I rest my cheek against the chain looking at his pretty eyes.

"Roman! Come here!" Amy yells and Roman rolls his eyes "Bye, Isla?" He gets off the swing and I nod before waving. I see her talk to him before he looks back at me. They go inside and I stay on the swings by myself.

4th grade

I held my mother's hand as the fancy dressed people approached us "Do you remember me?" An older woman, she looked around my mom's age. She had dark tan skin with long curly hair, her hazel eyes looked into mine, I held my mom's hand tighter before looking up. She gives me a nod.

"You're R-Roman's mo-"

"Mommy!" He runs towards her and I feel my words get swallowed back. His curly hair bounced on top of his head, He smiled at my mom before looking at me "You look pretty" I blurted out, complimenting his suit. He furrowed his eyebrows at me and his mom slightly tapped him. "I like your dress" he reaches out touching the flower around my waist "Roman, why don't you show Isla around" she stands and I feel my heart beating out my chest.

"Come on" he runs and I pick up my dress following behind him "Excuse me!" He runs between two people before running towards the steps "Sorry!" I run between and I see Roman running up the stairs, skipping two at a time. I hold the railing skipping slower up the steps.

I run down the hall not seeing him and I feel a sharp tug. I turned around holding my loose hair and Roman held my bow "Give it back!" I reach and he runs to the steps. I chase after him feeling my chest and ribs burn, he jumps over the last few steps before going outside. I run and my foot catches on the bottom of the sliding door, I fall onto the hard ground and I start to cry.