RETROGRADE

I place my shoes near the door as I look at my now clean room

I place my shoes near the door as I look at my now clean room. The candle burns as I exit my room and go downstairs. My parents already left for work "Yay" I mutter seeing the milk and cereal out for me, I place the letter on the dining table before going outside.

The rain pours down on the busy street and I open my umbrella, heading to the subway. Today was different. I was sure of it. The silent walk from my stop to school was the most peaceful moment I've had in a while. The rain thumps my umbrella as my Converse gets soaked from the small puddles.

I go inside the school, rub my shoes on the mat, and close my umbrella. I drag my feet to my locker letting out a tired yawn while shaking the water off my umbrella. My fingers lazily put in the combination, and I pull open the small door "Freak" I hear a feminine voice whisper behind me and I see Madison look over her shoulder with a smile.

I take out my books and slam my locker shut. I walk with my head down to my first period as I wait for the day to end already. I was bumped into and my books fell "What the fuck" I muttered looking at the books and pages scattered around. I bent down and picked up the loose papers before someone stepped on them.

My books were picked up off the floor. "My fault" I look up. I wasn't able to say a word as I took my books out of his hands "I-" I couldn't find the right words. He shook his head at me, indicating it wasn't needed to say anything. He walks away and I look back at him.

I walk to my class pushing down the uncomfortable bile down my throat. What was going on today?

I leave my backpack on the side of the building before leaving campus. The sun slowly went down as I walked to the train station. I sit on the train, my eyes looking at the other passengers as I sit near the back. I had this feeling of sonder. The automated system announces the next stop as I look out the window.

New York was pretty at night. I liked the city. The tall skyscrapers and the sound of the city never go to sleep. I rest my head against the graffitied window and turn my phone off. I put my hood on and waited for my stop.

I go inside my pockets and take out the pack of weed and woods. I place my phone in my lap like a tray as I break the weed down into the brown leaf. The small hairs stuck to my fingers as the strong aroma filled the train car.