Bigfoot

Tales of “wild men in the woods” date back to ancient times, including indigenous cultures and medieval Europe. But the legend of Bigfoot– a common figure in mountain folklore– began in 1958 in Humboldt County, California. Jerry Crew, a logging company employee, discovered a set of extra-large footprints in Six Rivers National Forest. Rumors quickly spread through the company, where the name “Bigfoot” soon caught like wildfire. Prior to the 20th century, Bigfoot was known by names like Sasquatch (a Salish word meaning “wild-men”) or Yeti (in Himalayan folklore). The Sasquatch was a hairy creature, known for bellowing, stealing livestock, and shaking trees. Many other indigenous tribes had their own version of a large, hairy monster, but the myth of the Sasquatch was the first to be recorded by European settlers. Since the mid-1800s, thousands of Bigfoot sightings have been reported all over the United States (including dozens of reported sightings in the North Georgia mountains). Today you can celebrate this mythical Appalachian monster at the Bigfoot Festival in Marion NC. At this annual festival you can expect educational panels, a Bigfoot calling contest, a costume contest, and Bigfoot-themed dishes. This year’s festival will be held on May 13 & 14, 2022.