The Brown Mountain Lights

Found in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, the Brown Mountain Lights are a true Appalachian mountain mystery.
Locals and tourists alike have reported glowing, orb-like lights in blue, white, orange, and red, hovering approximately 15 feet off the ground in the Brown Mountain area near Morganton NC.
Legend tells of a brutal battle between Cherokee and Catawba warriors on Brown Mountain, which left many dead on the battlefield.
In the evenings, Catawba women went searching for their sons, husbands, brothers and fathers, using torch lights to guide them. Many claim that the lights seen today are the spirits of the Catawba women, still searching for their loved ones.
The first recorded sighting of the Brown Mountain Lights happened in 1771, when German engineer John William Gerard de Brahm wrote about seeing the lights in his journal.
But his written account stated that he saw the lights at a consistent time every night, leading many people to believe he was actually seeing train lights in the distance.
Recorded accounts of Brown Mountain Light sightings happened throughout the 20th century, especially as the Linville area gained access to electricity.
While reported sightings of the colorful lights are known for their inconsistency, the lights are typically seen at night, especially after a rainfall.
The Brown Mountain Overlook, Wiseman’s View Overlook, and Lost Cove Cliffs Overlook are the most popular places to see them. All are located off NC-105 S or NC-181 near Asheville and Boone, and offer great scenic vistas at any time of day.