Prologue

After submitting his last paper to the invigilator, Michael was finally done with junior secondary school. He wouldn't miss a single bit of all this, like the awkward stares he gets from the girls in his class or the way he has to wake up early to go to school.

There was hustling and bustling along the hallway of his school, students talking here and there. Teachers yelling at the top of their voices, Mr John with his potbelly screaming at top of his voice for the students to exit the hall. Nonchalant female teachers applied makeup on their old faces and female students readjusted their shirts and skirt in other to look good for the boys. Must girls be this gullible he thought?.

Michael paid less attention to all these, he walked in silence, oblivious to his surroundings with a smile on his face.

He was in his world, lost in his thoughts, as he imagined his forthcoming trip to the United States. His mum had promised to take him to the states after he completes his JSS3.

Time was really slow, he looked towards that very moment when he will be finally free from this country. Even if it is for a brief moment at least he would be free.

"Are you going home now?" Bayo asked cutting his blissful moments short.
"Yes man," Michael answered.

Adebayo had been his best friend since JSS1 and though he was a little bit unserious with school, Bayo was quite a nerd, in JSS3 he became the head boy while Tayo was nowhere to be found among the school prefects, not that he cared anyway.
Being a prefect in Victory High school was like being a slave. Each prefect would have to come early to school and organize the students and sweeps in some cases.
The worst of it was being the errand dog of those lazy teachers sending the prefect to and fro. He wondered what was great about it but the only advantage he saw in being a prefect was that there had the grace to bully other people.
Maybe he should consider it, not that he could bully others. Though he claims to be aloof and uninterested in everything in this damn school. He still hates the fact that the helpless in this school still had to suffer whether they are obeying the rules or not, those prefect always finds a way to take their frustration out on the students.

"Why are you going home now?" He asked.
"Bayo, I am finally free from this hell of a school, I need my bed ASAP" Michael answered.
Bayo smiled and said " yeah sure, you are finally free but we are going to enjoy today at least with some drinks and babes too, Michael don't tell me you don't want to spend some time with Halima before going back home.
"I think I would reconsider," Micheal said.
"It will be nice to have drinks with the guys once more, don't worry man the drinks are on me."
"Yes!" Bayo exclaimed, "that's what I am talking about."
" Bayo, you have hurt my feelings," Michael said
"I thought you invited me because you wanted to have a good time with me", Tayo asked faking a hurt look.
Man, I love you but I am only interested in your wallet, he answered laughing out loud.
"Yikes! Bayo don't you ever say that to me again, keep those sappy words of yours, for Anita or your other babes" Tayo said playfully.
Let's go, the others are waiting for us.