I Built a Territory in Ancient Times Chapter 1

The sun was scorching, the sky was filled with yellow powder everywhere, and the withered vines and old trees were even more depressed and dilapidated in this environment. A team of hundreds of soldiers and horses guarded more than a dozen carriages, slowly moving towards the west. Looking from a distance, the team twisted and turned into a long dragon.

The carriage was very luxurious and comfortable, running ahead in the front line. At the end of the group, a few soldiers dragged their steps tiredly. Their mouths were already dry. One soldier took off the bamboo tube around his waist and ferociously took a sip.

The person next to him glanced at him, “It’s better to save some, this place has no village ahead and no inn behind. If there is no water source to replenish, I will see what you will do then.”

The man raised his head to look at the sky, and then sipped a mouthful of water fiercely, “Pei (spitting sound)! I can’t care about that now, at least it won’t make a person thirst to death, right?”

“Hey! You guys don’t say that, the soldiers here are in turmoil and chaos of war, they have no idea when they might die. There was a saying, what was it? Something horse, something bundle of corpse?” Another soldier cried out and said.

“Pei, Pei! Zhou Dadan, you have a crow’s mouth. Saying something bad like that, what about being buried in a horse hide(giving one’s life on the battlefield)? Bad luck! Laozi has to keep his life to go back home and marry a wife!” The man drinking water was called Li Man, and became depressed when he heard Zhou Dadan’s words. But Zhou Dadan was fearless, and always spoke without thinking. “Well, consider it our bad luck to be chosen to follow that kind of master.” 

(Laozi: I) 

Zhou Dadan paid it no mind, he touched his forehead and laughed twice, “What’s wrong with it? Coming to this side, we can render meritorious service. Wait for when Laozi beat those barbarians. Maybe I’ll be able to be like a general of the Great Yan, and receive people’s praises and admiration.”

(The Great Yan: the name of the dynasty, just like the Great Tang dynasty.) 

“Shh! Zhou Dadan, a green onion like you is worthy of being on the same level as a general of the Great Yan?” someone next to him immediately sneered.

Li Man drank the last drop of water, feeling a little unhappy. Hearing Zhou Dadan saying this, he felt even more unhappy. He stretched out his hand and slapped it on Zhou Dadan’s helmet and turned it crooked. He swore while talking: “Get lost, if you want to die, then don’t drag us with you.”

Zhou Dadan was slapped, but didn’t get angry. He just straightened the helmet with a good temper, nevertheless, his eyes flashed brightly.

Everyone around knew of Zhou Dadan’s straightforward character, thus, it was not good to argue with him. Instead, they acted as the middle person making peace, “Fine, it’s just that we don’t have any connections in the capital, that’s why we were instructed to come to this deserted place.”

As soon as this was said, the surrounding people were quiet for a moment. Many people felt perplexed regarding the future. Following this kind of person, will one really be able to have a future? They were all people from the capital, and their living conditions were excellent. After they came here, everything they saw and heard made them tremble, making them more or less a little uneasy.