Chapter 1

The sky was dark, but the city was bright with varieties of light colors brightening the road. As several vehicles passed by, creating noises along the way, we could see crowds of people everywhere, walking across the street, scrolling on their phones while sitting on the bench, people drinking milk teas and families holding the hand of their sons and daughters.

Among these groups of people, street vendors could be seen selling their specialties to them. It was already late in the afternoon and people were now rushing to return home. As people goes out of their work and school, people tend to be thirsty and hungry. They would crave for street foods whenever they see its appetizing look and smell their delicious scent.

Among these group of street vendors, one young man could be seen busying himself as he tend to his work. He deep fried french fries, kwek kwek, fish balls, squid balls, banana que and even sell iced tea juice.

Several people crowded around his stall and bought food from him.

The young man was wearing a SpongeBob apron, inside, he was still wearing his white t-shirt and black trousers. It is obvious that he was a young working student. He wore a shy smile on his face as he bid good-bye to his loyal costumers, before picking up his handkerchief to wipe the sweat off his face. His hands were hot but he was already used to it.

When he observed that not many people are walking in the street anymore. The young man decided to call it a day. He served himself a left-over iced tea juice and drank it with relish.

The young man then released a comfortable moan and sigh, as if his stress and tiredness were washed away by the coolness of the juice.

When he rode on his bike, he suddenly noticed the raindrops dripping on the roof of his food stall umbrella. Noticing that a heavy rain is about to come, the young man immediately pedalled faster and arrived at a simple three-storey orange black building.

An old landlord could be seen sweeping the dry leaves on the ground. When she noticed the food stall not too far away, the landlord subconsciously stopped and silently watched the young man.

" You always go home late, Laurence." Said the old landlord.

The young man named Laurence, parked his food stall inside the garage and turned to look at the landlord. " Why are you still sweeping at this kind of hour? Madam? Darkness is not good for your eyes. "

Madam Lulu, a half Asian-spanish woman squinted her wrinkled eyes at him, and sighed. " I am waiting for you to come inside, I am about to lock the building. "

Laurence picked up his box, jars and unwashed pots, ladles and etc. before nodding.

" Alright "

The young man held the old woman's hands as they climbed upstairs.

" Thank you, young man. " The old landlord weakly said and waved her hand to him.

Laurence nodded to her and watched as she entered her room before turning to walk at the end of the corridor.

The young boy then fiddled inside his pocket and took out a key before inserting it into the keyhole. An unlocking sound quietly resounded followed by the motion of the door opening inward.

Laurence stepped inside, closed the door and locked it. Once he finally arrived, he immediately dropped his pans and knelt down in tiredness.

He panted and hugged his knees. The whole room is silent, no one is in the room except him. It felt so lonely and quiet. Laurence stared at the scattered pans for a while before taking a deep breath.

Laurence is not an orphan nor was he left by his parents. He himself left the family because of their chaotic lifestyle.

His father was a drunkard who doesn't care about his young children's well being, his mother was a prostitute who sells herself in the red light street. His younger sister always flirts with boys, wears short skirts and scams foreigners online to earn a dollar. His big brother on the other hand was a gang leader and always return home with purple bruises and stabbed wounds. His second half big brother on the other hand, had impregnated a teenage student, his other big sister went abroad to become an foreign worker.