Part 1

I was lying on the sofa in the lowlight of the room.

It would be dark soon once all the candles I had lit will finally go out, but I didn't care and didn't notice the room getting darker and darker by the minute.

I had lit around 50 candles around the open plan kitchen/living area.

The dinner I had cooked was still in the oven, probably, dry, crisp and bitter after trying to keep it warm for over 2 hours from when it was meant to be ready.

Moulin Rouge was on the T.V in the paused position at the start of the film.

A time was flashing on the screen that the TV was going to turn itself off soon due to inactivity. I didn't bother to reach for the remote to even try and expand the lifetime of the TV.

I would let it just turn itself off and let it go dead.

Just as the evening had.

The room was silent except for the low hum of the candles and the tick of the clock on the wall.

"10.47pm" I spoke allowed, breaking the silence.

I pressed my message app back open.

Sofia <3

Y/N - Babe don't forget, you said you would be home by 6pm. It's 5pm now

Sofia <3 - I know y/n I won't be long, just need to finish this track then I am all yours, I promise. xx

Y/N - Okay, please don't be late, we haven't got to spend time together in weeks.

Sofia <3 - I know baby, I will be there, I got to go xxx

I scanned the messages after our last exchange.

All left unread.

Y/N - Babe where are you? It's 5:45pm.

Y/N - Sofia, it's 6:30pm can you just let me know if you are on your way?

Y/N - I've tried calling, can you just let me know if you are okay, it's 8:47pm now.

Y/N - I hope you are okay.

I closed off my messages with a huff and dropped my phone onto my chest.

My eyes flicked around the room, finally noticing that most of the candles I had lit had burnt out by now, the smell of burning in the air from the dish I had painstakingly took 2 hours to prepare using that recipe book from her mom for Christmas which had all her favourite foods in.

I had cried more tears than I did when watching Bambi after cutting all the onions the dish required and nearly singed my eyebrows off after I flambéed the damn meat.

I looked down at my hand, and rubbed the blister that had formed at the tip of my index finger.

It was still tingling.

A causality of my cooking.

But it was all for nothing.

It was our Anniversary.

I had tried to make it special. I had run us a bath at 5:45pm with the anticipation that she would be home around 6pm.

I had covered our room in rose petals and even put on new underwear, which was uncomfortable as hell. The wire on the new bra had been branding my back all evening.

I guess Victoria's Secret, is that her underwear is masochistic.

I got up from the sofa to get changed into my sweats and sports bra. There was no point in staying in these clothes now, the night had ended and was ruined.