Part 6

I turned the key in the lock to my apartment and entered the silent dark hallway.

I threw my bag to the side and walked with the weight of the world on my shoulders to the fridge and grabbed a beer.

There was nothing in there but beer, milk and butter. 

I had never lived like this.

But lately I either have not had an appetite, or I have got take out.

I opened the beer and enjoyed the coolness of the liquid as it ran down my throat.

I grabbed another for the road before making my way to the couch and kicking off my shoes and placing them on the coffee table. 

I hadn't even put a light on yet.

All that lumiated the room was the light from the moon and the street below filtering in through the curtains. 

My head went back against the cushions and I let out the sigh that I felt like I have been holidng in all day. 

"Your know, a beer for dinner is not exactly a healthy option" the voice  speaks in the darkness.

My eyes go wide and I jump at the unexpected sound.

"Jesus fucking christ" I hop over the sofa towards the kitchen to arm myself with a weapon.

Suddenly my main light is on.

"Harriet?" I say out load while holding a spatula.

Standing in the living room was my little sister.

"Hey" she says nervously with a smile on her face then walks towards me with her arms out.

I don't let go of the spatula.

She takes it out of my hands and engulfs me in a hug.

"What the hell are you doing here" My arms wrap around her and smooth out her hair slighlty.

I couldn't help it, it was a reflex, big sister complex kicking in.

"What a little sister can't visit her big sis once in a while" she chuckles slightly.

It's a nervous chuckle.

"Ash called you didn't she" my voice drops

"Oh yeah and she sung like a canary" she rubs my back sympathetically.

"So what you just jumped on a plane immediately?" I pull back from the hug.

"Yep!" she responds.

"It was only like an hour, so by the time Ash called me, I threw some stuff in a case, and made my way to the airport and jumped on the next flight here, LA is really accessible Y/N you should know that" she starts to take off her jacket.

"How did you get into the apartment" she hadn't answered that particular question.

"Ash told me where you keep the spare"  my head dropped and I sucked on my bottom lip.

"Of course she did" I nod.

"Beer?" I walk towards the fridge intending to hand her one.

"A water will be fine" I grab her a bottle of water and a bottle of beer.

"But I didn't want.." she starts to speak.

"Trust me, you will need one soon" I assure her.

"So what did my best friend tell you all together" I take seat on the sofa. 

My sister sits next to me.

"Well, she said that Sofia hasn't exactly been loyal and that you found out about it, and that she came to your office today and basically told you that I am going to be an Aunt" I watch as my sister missed out a lot of the stuff that Ashely probably told her, but she clearly wanted to test the waters of where my emotions are with her vague description.