The Backrooms: Thalassophobia

Class: 4

Level 7 is the 8th level of the Backrooms. It poses a significant obstacle to the exploration of level 8 further.

DESCRIPTION:

Level 7 is an impossibly large ocean that seems to stretch infinitely in all directions. Despite the absence of fixed light sources within the level, a dim natural light is present across the level. Detailed exploration of this ocean is sparse due to the extreme danger and the amount of preparation it requires to navigate. What we know of Level 7 is as follows:

Level 7 is largely unexplored but is understood to be composed of two rooms: the entrance room and the "room" containing the ocean itself, with a high concrete ceiling suspended above the water. The entrance room appears to be the most readily available point of entry to Level 7, being directly at the bottom of the stairs from Level 6. This entrance room is the most habitable point in the level and should be used as a home base for those who dare to explore the ocean below.

This room is fully furnished, with a bookcase against the left wall containing several books of unknown origin, a small coffee table, a single chair, and a fluorescent ceiling lamp. The carpeted floor is covered with a shallow pool of water no deeper than a puddle. Across the room from the staircase to Level 6 is the doorway to the ocean.

Any explorers willing to traverse Level 7 should be aware that the center of gravity within the entrance room is different from that of the rest of the level. The entrance room appears to be built sideways into the ceiling of Level 7, with the door opening up directly above the water from a top-down perspective. Anything directly in front of the open doorway will have its gravity forcibly adjusted to that of the ocean, leading several unfortunate wanderers to plummet through the doorway into the waters "below."

The vast majority of Level 7 is composed of the ocean outside of the entrance. The door to the entrance room is located on a fixed spot on the concrete ceiling, roughly 4.5 meters above the surface of the water. Though the water surrounding the entrance is barren, wanderers traveling far enough across the surface have discovered islands made of an unknown rock, which are mostly uninhabited.

The ocean of Level 7 is mostly uncharted, but exploration suggests that the entire level is almost completely devoid of life.

The "zones" of Level 7, categorized by light levels, are listed as such:

THE DAYLIGHT ZONE:

As the name suggests, the Daylight Zone is the most well-illuminated part of the Level 7 ocean, being slightly less dim than the surface. Very little else can be said about this zone, as it is the most barren area of the ocean.

THE TWILIGHT ZONE:

Located just below the Daylight Zone at roughly a kilometer below the surface of the water, the Twilight Zone is significantly darker and colder. This zone contains loose bones and scraps of rusted metal, as well as the first sightings of full skeletons. These skeletons are often humanoid with noticeable differences, including much larger jaws containing long, sharp teeth and legs ending in what are presumed to be flippers. Several skeletons of large, unearthly fish have also been spotted, many of which are covered in bite or scratch marks. The water pressure is said to be quite strong by this point, yet it appears that at no point in Level 7 is the pressure great enough to crush the human skeleton. However, due to more pressing dangers, explorers willing to travel this far or further down are advised to leave as quickly as possible.

THE MIDNIGHT ZONE:

Estimated to range at around three kilometers below the Twilight Zone, the Midnight Zone is completely dark. Many more full skeletons have been found within this portion of the ocean, almost all of which are those of the humanoid entities previously mentioned. There have been reports of incredibly large fish-like skeletons in the Midnight Zone, but the skeletal structures of these creatures have been described by observers as "incomprehensible."