Snow White

"Perfect! What a moving performance!" applauded Mr Johns as Perdita Lyn finished her line of Snow White in the play auditions. She was satisfied. She would definitely get the part of Snow White now! After all, she embodied Snow White perfectly. Sleek, wavy ebony black hair, pink lips, and had the palest skin tone of all the girls in the drama club. Her best friend who had auditioned to be a blue bird that guided Snow White to the dwarfs' cottage stood next to her.

                       "I hope I get the part!" Bella Duchess whispered nervously to Perdita. Perdita said, "I'm just surprised your mom didn't make you try for the lead role. Didn't she pressure you into joining the chess tournament?" "No, she helped sign me up for it before I could chicken out. But hey, I'm the school champion until next time." giggled Bella, "But because the award cabinet is getting full, she's letting me take a break from the spotlight until a new one arrives. Which should be a long time since she keeps forgetting.".

                    The next person who took the stage was the one that caught Perdita's attention. Barbara Que. She was mainly disconnected from other people. The only person she ever interacted with was her classmate, Jackson Tiggs. One of the class smart kids. Some teased her and call her Barbie Que. Barbara found it funny though, and let everyone call her Barbie. She too had pale skin, though slightly darker than Perdita's. She also had slightly puffy brown hair. Though people liked her and she was semi popular among the school, Barbara had a lot of stares and smiles that she could turn on in an instant, and that often was enough to scare anyone away.

                 Everyone was whispering, gossiping about Barbara. But when she took the stage, everyone stared in awe. She was auditioning for Snow White as well, and was equal if not better than Perdita's performance. Mr Johns clapped loudly as Barbara curtsied and walked away. At first, Perdita thought she would get an easy shot for the protagonist's role, as other girls who auditioned for Snow White either read the script blankly or were too dramatic for the part. But this, this was a threat to the girl.

                  As everyone gathered round Mr Johns for the casting announcement, Perdita noticed Barbara, and hoped that she got the part instead of Barbie Que. She wouldn't lose to her, she wouldn't stand for it! Mr Johns read out the casting choice. "Larry Hilton as Dwarf 1, Philip Dickson as Dwarf 2..." Perdita waited patiently for her name to be read out. "Julia Dawson as Snow White's blue bird, Bella Duchess as the Wicked Queen's huntsman..." Mr Johns rattled on. 

                  "Oh, Bella, I'm so sorry." said Perdita sympathetically. Bella shrugged, "Eh, I wasn't really cut out to be a bird. I bet I'll be the perfect huntsman though.". "Perdita Lyn as the Wicked Queen, and Barbara Que as Snow White!" Mr Johns finished. Perdita couldn't believe her ears. Everyone clapped for Barbara. "Yeah! Go Barbie Que!" someone shouted, and soon a small crowd formed around Barbara, who blushed and smiled at the attention.

                    "Mr Johns, there must be some mistake, you must have read the cast list wrong." said Perdita. Mr Johns looked up from his table, "No, I didn't read the list wrong. Is there any problem Miss Lyn?" "You see, I was under the assumption that I was to be Snow White." Perdita said. Mr Johns said, "One must never simply assume they've landed the role after the audition. You merely disappointed yourself Perdita." "But WHY am I the Wicked Queen?" "Well first off, from what I hear from the other girls, you're quite temperamental. And the costume designers all agreed that you're very beautiful. And lastly, only a very good actor can portray a very good villain. Perfect material for a jealous Wicked Queen. But if you really long to be Snow White, I can arrange for you to be Barbara Que's understudy.".

                   Perdita walked out of Mr Johns' office with mixed feelings. She then made it through the rest of the school day, where she headed to the auditorium backstage and met up with the costume designers and makers. Julia Dawson looked adorable as the bluebird, as she was quite small. She wore a blue cap with a bill painted yellow, and large painted on eyes. She was trying on some blue pyjamas, which had bits of blue towels sewn to the sleeves to look like wings. Meanwhile, Bella donned a handsome huntsman costume.

                  Anne, the head of the costume group brought out Perdita's costume. It looked stunning. It was a long, flowing gown of deep purple, the fabric shimmering in the light. It had long sleeves, and a white lace. The golden crown was made of plastic, with pink rhinestones glued into it. Perdita completely embraced being the Wicked Queen if she could wear this gorgeous piece.

                  She looked over towards the side, where Barbie was wearing her Snow White costume. It had a light blue top, with flowing sleeves, and the shoulders lined with violet. The skirt too was flowing, a deep violet embroidered with silver patterns. The sleeves and skirt fluttered in the breeze of the fan, and Barbie laughed as she twirled around. Bella approached Perdita. "I wish I could wear that Snow White outfit every day! Could you imagine me walking down the streets in that?" she asked dreamily.

                 Perdita shrugged, "This one is perfect for me." "Still jealous of Barbie Que?" "A little. But Mr Johns said he arranged me to be Barbie Que's understudy. Though, I think I kinda like being a Wicked Queen.". Dress rehearsals went off without hitch, until the day of the play. Barbie was nowhere to be seen. Perdita was the first to find her. She was in the storage room, hugging her knees. The girl sat down next to her. "What are you doing here? Everyone's looking for the star of the play." she asked.

                   Barbie shrugged, "I've never actually played a lead role before, I was more comfortable in the background. I just don't think I can do this.". Perdita didn't know what to do. "Um, I'm sure you'll do great. Hey, you even beat me for the role, and Mr Johns says I'm one of the best actresses in this club. If you got the lead role over me, I'd say you'd kill it on stage. Come on, Snow White needs to make an appearance." Barbie smiled.

                  The play was magnificent. After the curtain call, everyone swarmed Barbie Que, giving her compliments and praising her for her Snow White. Barbie basked in delight, then approached the Wicked Queen Perdita. "You were great as the Wicked Queen, I couldn't have been Snow White without you." she said. Then she announced, "After party at my house! Everyone can come!". Everyone whooped and cheered.

                  Bella said, "You rocked, My Queen." with a bow, then laughed. "So, you going to Snow White's party, Your Majester?" she asked. Perdita smiled, "Eh, maybe I'll turn up to be even fairer than Snow White at her own party. Huntsman Bella, go forth and prepare yourself for your family, I can see your mother trying to knock over Mr Johns to get to you." and they both laughed.