Chapter 29: The Maiden Fair

I sat beside Grim Mite. The both of us had continued down the river slowly with Lady Brienne and Podrick. Although they saved me from the Freys at Riverrun, some tension remained between us. Now, we were sitting beside a campfire, taking a quick rest from our journey down the river to eat and sleep.

Our trip had been awkwardly silent. I picture it was because of Lady Brienne and her honorable nature. I killed Waldrin, yes, but my method of execution was in no way honorable. I have no regrets about what I did, but I'm guessing that Brienne would disagree with me.

"How have you been, Podrick?" I asked the squire in an attempt to break the tension.

"I've been fine, my lady. Being in Lady Brienne's service has been a big change of pace from serving Tyrion Lannister, but I've learned a lot."

"That you have. You're no longer cooking rabbit with the skin still on," Brienne joked as Podrick turned the meat on a spit.

We all chuckled a little bit and the silence continued. This awkwardness seems to loom over us no matter what we do.

"I think we should get some sleep. It's been a long two days," Brienne said, preparing her bed roll.

"Agreed," I replied, setting up my own sleeping area.

Grim Mite left to keep watch for any Frey scouts that may be searching for me, and Podrick swiftly followed behind him. I adjusted my positioning and stared up at the night sky. I sighed and closed my eyes. Right before I could drift off, I heard Lady Brienne speak.

"My lady, I don't wish for there to be any harsh feelings between us."

"I am not the creator of said feelings. The way I handled Waldrin Frey was my business. My family's business," I replied.

"I'm aware, but there are cleaner ways to kill a man."

"I agree, there are cleaner ways to kill a man. They could've simply slit my twin brother's throat at that wedding feast, but no. Waldrin and his brothers shot bolt after bolt into his torso, stabbed him in the stomach, and decapitated him so they could sew Grey Wind's head onto his lifeless body. Did I not grant Waldrin the same kind of death he gave my brother?"

"All you did was show you're no different than him. He was already was going to die. You made it unnecessarily cruel."

"And if he won, as you said, he would've done that and worse to me."

"Your mother would have-"

"She would have done nothing. She has been dead for a long time now. Do not mention my mother to me, she would be glad that I'm alive, no matter what I did to get here. Goodnight, Lady Brienne," I said angrily, turning on my side.

I stood on the dias in the Great Hall of the Red Keep. It was like I was on trial for regicide again. My prophetic dreams are getting more realistic, I have to give them credit.

"... choked on his pigeon pie," Tyrion told his father, perfectly resembling the trial about 2 years ago.

"So you would blame the bakers?" Tywin asked.