Diagon Alley

Even though yesterday's conversation with Snape still rang in Leilla's ears, nothing could take her mind off the fact that today was the day she would finally get her own wand. Together with Aunt Isabel, they set off for London around noon. Uncle Oliver drove them all the way to Oxford where they took a train towards Marylebone Station. There was no point returning to Honington, as the trip took more than three hours, so Aunt Isabel decided they would spend the night in London. Snape had told her that it'd be best if they stayed at the Leaky Cauldron, a magical pub in the centre of the city. Aunt Isabel, however, ardently refused and instead booked a room at a small hotel near King's Cross Station, the point of departure of the train to Hogwarts.

Leilla's letter arrived late on yesterday's evening, delivered by a very angry-looking owl. The mail usually arrived in the morning, so the owl seemed deeply unhappy to be flying outside her regular working hours. Along with the letter came a list of books to purchase for Leilla's first year at Hogwarts. Everything she needed she could buy at the Diagon Alley – a famous street in the centre of London, accessible only to wizards and witches.

Leilla was running over the shopping list on the train with Aunt Isabel, who kept going on about how last-minute and nearly-too-late their trip to the Diagon Alley was.

'If I  was in charge of things,' the woman huffed for the tenth time that day, 'we would've had everything ready by August. Severus obviously never has time to think about those things, so naturally, I  have to take matters in my own hands...'

Leilla wasn't listening to her. She had just finished reading the list of potion staples required for her lessons with Snape and she felt content.

'I've used them all before,' she said to Aunt Isabel, showing her the list. 'I know what each one is for. Asphodel, wiggentree bark, moondew...'

'Of course you do, dear,' said Aunt Isabel looking out the window, trying to find the name of the station they had just arrived at. 'Why else do you think Severus has been showing you all those fancy elixirs for the past few years? He wanted you to do well at school, of course.'

Leilla took another glimpse at the list and felt her anger at Snape lessen slightly.

She had been to London a few times before. She went there to see a play at a theatre and visit some museums. It had all been Uncle Oliver's idea, as he insisted she should have as much exposure to the non-magical world as possible. He felt that the connection to the regular lives of English Muggles was 'of utmost importance' and he had Leilla promise that she would take a Muggle Studies class at Hogwarts. Leilla loved London and was excited to be back on the busy streets full of tall red buses and shiny black cabs.

Finally, the voice on the tube announced the Charing Cross station, and Leilla and Aunt Isabel walked out of the underground squeezing through crowds of people dressed in suits. Leilla helped Aunt Isabel carry her unusually heavy suitcase up the stairs.

'Where to now...' Aunt Isabel muttered to herself, looking at a city map in her hand. 'Take a left, walk past a flower shop, and turn right?'

'I think so...' mumbled Leilla, busy staring at a pair of extravagantly dressed mannequins in a shop window.

'Come on, let's go!' Aunt Isabel grabbed her by the hand, and they made their way down the street. After passing by a record shop nestled by a department store, Leilla pointed her finger upwards at a signboard above a shabby-looking pub.

'Here, the Leaky Cauldron!' she said, feeling butterflies in her stomach. She pulled Aunt Isabel through the front door, and the two of them walked into a small, smoke-filled, dirty-looking bar. A couple of wizards and witches (easily distinguishable by their robes and pointy hats) were sitting at the tables, sipping on their beer and talking in low voices.