I

Olivia Benjamin comes from a long line of Naval aviators, her late grandfather was an admiral, and her father, Beau Simpson, was one of the best in his class at Top Gun, now sporting the rank of Vice Admiral himself.

Olivia, Liv for short, grew up in North Island, with her mother, Anna Benjamin, who owned a quaint house near the beach on the base.
Her parents never married, in fact, they really weren't anything more than a fiery Summer fling.
Anna initially didn't tell Beau that she was pregnant nearly 27 years ago, not wanting to ruin the career the new pilot was building himself because of an accidental pregnancy. They were both so young, and he was just starting out, he didn't need a distraction like that.

In truth, he had loved flying more than anything, more than Anna, and she knew that, and didn't want to stand in his way.

When he did find out, though, he was happy about it, and the couple worked on their relationship for years, trying for their daughter's sake as she grew up.

But ultimately, they weren't meant to be, and parted ways while co-parenting a growing Olivia to the best of their abilities.

With Beau so focused on his career in the Navy, Liv spent a majority of her childhood and early teen years with her mother in San Diego, seeing her father only on occasion.
This led to her being extremely close to her mom, while hardly having a relationship with her father.

But when she turned 15, her mother was diagnosed with progressive, stage 4 cancer.

Anna fought hard for a year and a half, undergoing chemo, and multiple surgeries, until her fight ended on a gloomy Thursday night.
A night her daughter will never forget.

Still a minor, Liv moved in with her Aunt Penny, her mother's older sister, who had a three year old at her home in North Island.
Penny was raising her daughter, Amelia, on her own, and Liv vowed not to be a burden to her.

Beau visited when he could, still stationed in North Island, and Liv was civil, despite some underlying bitterness and resentment towards him from his lack of presence during her mother's final year.

Penny noticed, and played mediator, although it was clear she wasn't Beau's biggest fan, either.

Once Liv graduated high school, she went straight to the University of San Diego, and got a 4 year business degree.
She had a plan, and knew exactly what she wanted to do, and with her Aunt's help, they purchased the old bar on the beach in North Island, and they restored it and improved it. It was the bar at which her parent's met, and a place that had been around since her grandfather was stationed in North Island, working at Top Gun.

Liv put all of her life's savings into that bar, and she and Penny owned, operated and managed the business, which was, obviously, a huge success.

Now 27, Liv and Penny have ran 'The Hard Deck' for almost 4 years, and Liv loves it. She loves the atmosphere, she loves living here, and she loves the people. She feels close to her mom living here in the house she grew up in, and although she held resentment towards her dad, living here near him, she's grown closer to him over the years, and she loves what he does. She has respect for it, and loves being able to offer a place for aviators to escape and have fun while they're here.

She's made a lot of friends that have come and gone, she has family in Penny, Amelia and her father. If there's anything she feels like she's missing from her life, it's her person to share it with.

But as far as her love life goes... let's just say, Liv made a strict rule for herself 2 years ago.

She will not, under any circumstances, date a navy pilot.