.7

2 years ago..
October 30th, 1984.
6:27 pm -

will, Lucas, dustin, max, and I are all sleeping over in my basement tonight. The night before Halloween, I wasn't very happy with max being here. She's not even in our party, but I guess I kind of feel bad about her not having any friends. Plus, Lucas and Dustin forced me to get over it, they begged her to stay. So I guess she's one of us now, but no way is she replacing el. she better not think she is either, everyone thinks I'm crazy when I say that, but our party is special, we don't just let anyone in. And they just met her and automatically let her in. It's so stupid. My mom walks downstairs with a bowl of popcorn in one hand and a bowl of candy in the other.
-"have fun. Be asleep by 10, you still have school tomorrow." She whispered, but I just nodded, annoyed.
as the movie started, I turned all of the lights off and sat next to Will. we were watching Friday the 13th, I noticed Will not being as scared as he used to be when we were kids, he used to be terrified of horror movies. All of us were scared of the surprise pop ups in the movie, but he used to throw fits when we were kids, it was super funny. He seemed more mature now. I guess I never realized that about him, I've been to focused on el disappearing. I feel like now, now that els gone. Ive started to lose hope of her ever coming home. But wills always been there for me when I was upset, unlike Dustin and Lucas. they were there, but not like Will. Will actually listened and understood what I was saying. I loved that about him. I'm glad to have him as a best friend.. but the more I thought about him, the more my thoughts went deeper. Wills eyes get brighter every time I look at him. what he's wearing today was actually.. kind of cute. Wait, why am I thinking like this? I don't like boys, that's disgusting. It's wrong, right? It's no-
-"do I have something on my face?" Will whispered to me.
yeah, my eyes.
-"sorry." I chuckled, embarrassed.

i looked towards the movie again, paying attention to the movie. We all would laugh when Lucas would scream.
-"Lucas, you scream like a little girl." Max laughed.
-"yeah, you scream a higher pitch then my 4 year old sister." I giggled.
we all had fun that night, but eventually passed out.

•••

I woke up the next morning, Will and I were sharing a couch, sleeping on opposite sides. Max and Lucas were sleeping on the floor, and Dustin was on the other chair.
I get up and check the time, 6:52 am.

I sigh, not wanting to get up. I kick everyone awake quickly for us to get ready for school that starts at 7:45.
I got dressed in my bedroom, wearing a white shirt, with a tan plaid long sleeve over it matched with black jeans and vans. As I walked downstairs where I saw my friends eating what my mom made for breakfast, I noticed wills outfit. He is wearing a black and dark green sweatshirt, with light washed cuffed jeans and black converse. Its a solid outfit, I really like it. i also noticed how taller he's gotten since last year, how have I not noticed all these changes of him? We've been hanging out for the past years, have I just not looked at him enough? How could I not notice that he went from being the height of my shoulders up to almost my ears. Why am I obsessing over this? it's really nothing.
-"mike?" Will waves in my face.
-"sorry, again." I laugh awkwardly after I realize I've been staring at him for too long.
-"jeez, wheeler. You crushing or something? Dustin teases, jokingly.
-"what?! No." I defend, giving him a dirty look.
i hear them laugh quietly while I put my plate up in the sink.

•••

after school, everyone was stopping outside of my house, one by one. Will is the last one to be here, he stops his bike outside my house and lays it down next to everyone else's. we were all matching, wearing ghostbusters costume. Except for max, who was wearing a stupid Michael myers costume.
we walk from door to door, all night for hours. We were starting to get tired, at least Will and I were.
-"can we go home now? It's like 10." I complain to them.
-"not yet! The funs just beginning!" Max says.
-"yeah, suck it up wheeler." Lucas laughs.
will and I look at each other, I could see he was just as annoyed as I was.
-"Will and I are going home." I said, starting to turn around.
-what, why?" Dustin asked.
-"cause we're tired, we've been walking for 4 hours." Will replied.
-"so?" Max said.
-"so... bye." I said, before Will and I turned around and started walking home by ourselves.

we got home, and started to sort our candy together without the rest of our friends. we traded everything we didn't like with each other.
-"ew, do you want this?" Will asks and hands me a box of whoppers with a disgusted look on his face.
-"what? You don't like whoppers?? You're crazy." My voice raises.
-"no, you're crazy. It taste like chocolate covered dry cereal, Gross." He makes a disgusted noise.
i chuckle, before taking the box out of his hands and setting it on my pile.
i started thinking about everything. Max ruined my night, the best night of the year. One I wait for every year for 365 days. she ruined the entire thing. she's not even our friend, and she acts like she rules everything. Lucas and Dustin are so obsessed with her, it's annoying. What's so special about her anyway? why is it always about her?

-"you okay?" Will asks me, interrupting my thoughts.
-"yeah, I guess I'm just annoyed."
-"max?"
-"yep. This was supposed to be the best night of the year, and she destroyed it for me. Lucas and Dustin only let her do what she wants because they both like her. I don't know what they see in her, it's all just annoying me." I complain.
-"yeah, I understand." He says.
he always does..
-"hey, at least I still have you." I nudged his shoulder with mine, smiling.
he looked back at me smiling.
I looked into his eyes. The longer I stared, the deeper I can see into them, and the more I could hear his thoughts. i felt myself slowly leaning in.. why am I leaning in? what's happening? Am I really about to kiss Will Byers? The guy I've been best friends with since kindergarten? The guy.. I might slightly.. sorta, maybe have.. feelings for?
we're inches away from each other's lips, before the front door opens making us jump away from each other, it was the rest of our friends. They all ran over to us and sat on the floor across from us.
they start to pour their candy out and sort, laughing and trying to get us to crack.
we both look at each other, very often, not speaking to each other.

did I really just try to kiss will byers?