Chapter 2

"Is this the prisoner?"

I looked up to see a woman dressed up like one of those palace maids I saw on the way out yesterday. 

"Hey, you're out."

They unlocked my shackles and let me out of the cell again.

"Follow me." The maid told me and lead me out of the jail where it was guarded by hundreds of soldiers from each corner.

We went into a familiar place, it was the same place where I was sent to last time. Where I was investigated by the crown prince and I made the promise to help him find the scarred man.

I was led inside the crown prince's palace and was directed to a room. It was spacious and clean to be considered as a room for a stranger like me.

"This room is made for the crown prince's concubines. But since there were still no woman he have chosen to live on these empty rooms, he ordered us to let you have it. This will be the room farthest to the crown prince's room since you are by no means a royal concubine." The palace maid explained. "Then, I will take my leave. If you need anything, please let us know."

I nodded my head as I see her off the room. When she's finally out of my sight, I yelled and jumped up and down in happiness.

"Yey! My own room!" I giggled and hugged the pillows on the mattress. 

For the following days of my stay inside the palace, I was able to live the most lavish life I could ever have. I was fed with tasty food and the people were kind enough.

I got bored and went outside of the room for the first time. I looked at the flowers outside and went whenever I could and then I saw a pond with a bridge in the middle. It was big enough that it was filled with fishes.

"A-Ah!" My eyes immediately diverted its gaze at a palace maid who was carrying a bucket that was now spilled on the floor.

I ran into her and helped her with the other bucket she was carrying. 

"Are you okay?"

"Mm, yeah, thank you!" She said in relief.

"Here, let me help you."

"Oh, no. I can do it on my own."

"Please, let me. You're already wet. Where do we take this?"

"Oh, at the kitchen." She said and smiled as I help her bring the buckets at the kitchen.

"Really, thank you so much for carrying it." She said as she wipe down her wet dress and smiled at me.

"It's fine."

"Are you a servant here?"

"Oh, no. I'm..." I paused as I thought of nothing to say to her.

What am I?

"Yeah, you can say that I'm a servant."

"Oh really? But you're not dressed as one though." She said as she look at my clothes. "Wait, are you that person who was taken in by the crown prince? The one who was living on a concubine's room?"

"Oh, I am."

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry for letting you carry around a bucket!"

"What? It's fine, really."

"But the crown prince ordered us to treat you well." She insisted. "By the way, what's your name? You've been here for a week already. But only the court ladies were able to see you."

"Yeah, I was bored inside the room so I decided to go out."

"But if I may ask you, sir."

"I'm Yang Jungwon. How about you?"