Old Time Sting

December 17, 2021

The holidays were just around the corner and Emily and Sue were taking this time to spend some time with their friends and family. They had plans to trek out to Amherst for a few days for Christmas the following weekend, so they decided to go out this weekend with their friends.

Covid restrictions in Boston have been completely lifted—no masks required in public spaces and back to normal capacity limits since a huge percentage of the state had already been vaccinated. The girls had been very covid cautious over the past year and a half, but they decided tonight that they'd let things slide and hit the bar with some of their friends.

Emily and Sue were walking hand in hand to the bar that was just a few blocks away from their apartment. They had made a plan to meet their sisters, Jane, Austin, and George there to grab a few drinks and unwind from the week. They weren't dressed in anything fancy—simple blue jeans on the both girls. Emily was wearing her black docs and a white fisherman sweater while Sue wore a pair of white sneakers and a loose fitted white slightly cropped t-shirt.

When the girls turned the corner on Union Street, they quickly approached the entrance to the tucked away dive bar and went inside. They quickly spotted their group already sitting at a tabletop in toward the corner of the bar. They walked through the crowded floor and made their way over.

"Finally!" Vinnie shouted over the loudness of the people in the bar, "You guys are late!"

"We got a little sidetracked." Sue chuckled, taking her jacket off.

Emily smirked and took her jacket off and took her wife's—placing both of them on the back of their chairs before taking a seat.

"Work ran a little late." Emily sighed, taking the beer that was already placed on the table for them. She took a sip and winked at her wife.

Sue shook her head and took a sip from her own beer.

"Riiiight. Work." Hattie said, looking at them knowingly.

"Shut up, Harriet." Sue said, scolding her sister teasingly.

Hattie gasped and furrowed her brow, "Don't call me Harriet, Susan."

"God, why did mom have to give us old lady names?" Sue asked, resting her chin on her hand as she sighed.

The whole table laughed at their sisterly banter and continued to converse over drinks and appetizers. As the time ticked and each of them knocked a few drinks down, everyone was starting to feel a pretty good buzz. Emily and Sue were definitely feeling a bit of a head change and they were getting extra cuddly at the table now—Sue's head on Emily's shoulder while Emily had her hand on Sue's thigh underneath the table.

"So, what's everyone got going on for the holidays next weekend?" George asked, sipping from his drink as he scanned his eyes around the table at everyone.

"We're going to Amherst to spend the holidays with our parents. Going to have Christmas dinner at my parents' house." Emily answered first.

"Also going to Amherst." Vinnie said, taking another sip.

"Same." Hattie said simply, taking a couple of fried pickles from the basket at the center of the table.

"Not me." Austin said, leaning back in his chair as he wrapped his arm around Jane's chair, "I'm spending Christmas with Jane and her family."

"What—are you guys, like, official now?" Vinnie asked, looking at her brother as she brought her beer bottle up to her lips.

"You're so behind, Vin." Emily said, chuckling. "They've been official for a week now." She teased, wagging her eyebrows at her brother and Jane.