Chapter Six

'Nazi, Germany,' Zack thought,'This can't be happening.'

But it was.

"How did you get me here?" He asked. He was sick of how the girl carried around secrets like she was carrying around candy, sweet and wonderful.

"Easy. I took you here. Like this." The girl reached up and brushed her cold hands over Zack's eyes. His world darkened, like a veil tossed over the sun. Green lights swirled before his vision and he desperately wanted it to stop; he was getting dizzy.

"I'm dizzy." He said. The darkness stopped.

"What was that?"

"The Shadows; they're after us. They want us to be one of them." Dorit started to climb the stairs. "Follow me." She said mysteriously.

He followed her up the fourteen steps (he counted) and they stopped at the top where there was a wood door with faded red paint. 'Her room.' Zack thought. The inside was similar to what you would think would be inside a nine-year-old's bedroom, only less high-tech, which Zack was so used to. Instead of battery-operated plastic Barbies, there was a rag doll. Instead of shiny metal race cars, there were wooden trains with traintracks. There was a canopied bed with white curtains and a patchwork bedspread, and there was a luxurious carved dresser wedged in the corner with a crooked mirror on top. The only thing that looked out of place was the black paint coated over the three windows adorn with pink gingham curtians.

"Wow," Zack said,"Nice room." he said, although he didn't mean it. He watched as Dorit reached over to turn off her lamp, which lit the room.

"Please don't." Zack whispered. He hated being in total darkness. He knew he wasn't safe that way. But instantly, like a fire ignited to paper, the voices started to creep into his mind.

"What was that?" Dorit asked through the thick darkness. "Is that....fear I'm sensing from you? You're afraid of them?"

"....No." He lied. The colors, 'Shadows', as Dorit called them began to cloud up in the room. Yellow began to mix with green, and green began to mix with red. Soon Zack's vision was nothing but a colorful blur floating before him.

She turned the lights on. Zack was grateful.

"You can hear spirits," She said,"And I can only see them. I've only given you an illusion to what I see, but I think they are the reason I was blind."

"You were blind?"

"Yes. You took Ry's eyes for me. But you did it with hatred. These eyes won't last long since I can only see hatred. I've never seen or known so much."

"I wish you hadn't down that."

"But I did." She took a step closer, then another. "You see, Zack, I know what you're thinking. I'm not real. But I am." Stepped away suddenly, and ran out the door and down the stairs.

He decided to follow her, but when he turned, he came face to face with the same deadly creature he could only hear at night. But this time, he could see it.