Playing with Fire Ch.7

I climbed up a tree in the garden, trying my best not to be seen by those in the streets, but that was quite easy, as it was dark. When no one seemed to be around, I climbed down and nudged at Eddie.

"It's best we leave now." he nodded without question, and motioned toward the couple that still sat in the corner in obviously deep distress.

"We gotta get moving," he whispered.

"But what about...her." Jason murmured.

I let out an exasperated sigh. I did NOT want to bury a little girl.

"It must be done, Hans." said Eddie.

So she was buried there, right there...in a shallow grave hand dug in the garden, much less than this little girl deserved.

Sobs could be heard as we dug, but I remained dry eyed. I will not be seen as weak or pathetic. But then, that's all I feel on the inside, my nerves writhing around like jelly. I would honestly give my life for Elsie's in in a heartbeat, but the past cannot be changed, and the past remains as it happened and nothing more, and all I can think of is how much I wish I could change it.

So, with a heavy heart and a heavy soul, we all left, gliding along the darkened walls as if we were weightless. This is crazy.

July, 1943

I've found the flower. I know it. I hear my mother calling and run down the stairs. She just got home from the market, I bet. She doesn't know. It's good she doesn't know. I have to hide Zack. But how? I slide down the banister and land promptly on my feet. The maids got the day off. Mother has always been generous to her maids. She doesn't treat them badly like I see the Nazis do.

They took father away two months ago. They said he was being taken to a reformation camp. I don't know what that is. They say they get treated real nice there. But he hasn't sent word at all since he left. I hope he's alright.

I walk in the dining room and grab an apple from mother's basket. I love apples. But I'm too nervous to eat, and I know I have to. I eat an apple every time mother comes back from the market and she might think I'm sick if I don't.