Chapter Three

October 24th, Present

Zack ran. He ran down the steps away from school. He felt like a sick person. He felt he belonged in juvie. Most of all he felt scared. Hardly a second would go by when he felt sickening fear and misery run through his veins.

Ry lost his sight.

No, Ry lost his eyes. His eyes were gone, leaving two big, gaping holes sunken and bleeding pink inside his head. The thought would scar him for life, surely, he thought. He had never intended to do it.

But he didn't know how he did it. He'd only touched him, and his eyes were gone.

He ran through the woods, since it was the closest place to hide. He slowed, as the underbrush grew thicker and thicker. Thorns peirced and tore at his legs, and he almost lost a shoe. Sweat and dirt made his hair cling to his forehead. Miserable and exhausted, he sat in the dirt up against a tree. The tree was a giant oak, it's trunk fat and round, darkened with age, and it's limbs stretching upward as if to hug the sky.

It was quiet except for the wind brushing against the entertwining trees, and it was cold out, too, since it was late October. He shivered and pressed up against the tree, eventually falling asleep.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

June 30th, 1943

The creature lingers in my mind, still. I've gained something since I last saw it. I can see things the color green. It was exciting and weird at the same time. I saw grass and leaves. Bugs and apples. But since then I've noticed a....presence, so to speak, slipping around in my bedroom at night. Sometimes I can feel that dreadful bony hand touching my index finger again. Other times I see shades of green.

But I still don't know why. Maybe that flower story was true. Maybe I've found this sacred flower, and maybe I don't even know I've found it.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

October 24th, Present

Zack hears the voices again. He hears them in his dreams. They swirl around him, a green vapor appearance. He sees Ry. He his eyes. Large, green, eyes. It draws closer....closer......