Playing with Fire

I stepped back, and I'm sure my mouth was left agape.

'We will search the building at six'. Was what the paper said. No....I glanced over at Eddie, and pointed to the paper. "Ed! We never should've brought them here!" I watched his face go pale.

"I....don't know."

I wanted to pull my hair out, and when the deskman came back, I said,"I just realized something...I...have taken them to the wrong address....may we have....uh, may I escort them to their proper place?"

The man looked at me, squinting his eyes. "And what exactly is the address they are supposed to go to?"

"It's a--a secret." I wanted to scream.

"I can keep a secret." I almost laughed at that one. Ha! Keep a secret!

"I was told not to tell, sir, now I really must being going if you'll excu--"he stood up, and slammed me into the plastered wall, and I once again had a gun pressed to my head. Eddie started to raise his fist, but he said,"Make another move and you and your friend are dead!"

I held my breath, expecting a blow.

"Now tell me...where were you going to take them?"

"I--I..."

"No lying! If you lie, you're dead!"

"I wouldn't be any good to you dead, now would I?" I said, forcing confidence out of my mouth, which was opposite of how I felt."

"Correction,"He said with an evil smile. "I'll kill everyone of your Jewish friendsxin this building."