chapter five: 𝐛𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞

CHAPTER FIVEBONDING TIME

CHAPTER FIVE
BONDING TIME

Screams filled the elevator as it fell

Screams filled the elevator as it fell. Steve and Robin were yelling at each other while Dustin and Erica tried to get the buttons to work. Meanwhile, Mavis was just holding on tight, trying her best not to fall as no screams escaped her mouth. She was scared, yes, but not of the possibility of dying. She was scared of what her father would do if he noticed she wasn't home. She couldn't be away too long.

Suddenly, the elevator came to a stop, almost making them fall. But the halt was so sudden that Mavis' body crashed against one of the shelves. That would definitely leave a bruise. However, they were all doing fine and still in one piece. Well, except Harrington.

"My groin. It fell on my groin," he said, and when Mavis looked over, she saw a box had indeed fallen on top of him. She smiled. It was a little bit funny. "Dustin! Get this off of me!"

"Is everyone okay?" Robin asked after Dustin had gotten the box off of Steve.

"Yes–"

"Yeah, I'm great now that I know that Russians can't design elevators!" Steve yelled, interrupting Mavis as he walked over to the keypad and pressed on the buttons. It was clear that he was frustrated, but she thought he needed to tone it down a little bit.

"I think we've clearly established that those buttons don't work," Robin stated.

"They're buttons. They have to do something."

"Yeah, if we had a keycard," Mavis said as she crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"A what?"

She rolled her eyes. He couldn't be this dumb. "It's an electronic lock. Same as the loading dock door. If we don't have a keycard, it won't operate, meaning..."

"We're stuck in here," Dustin finished the sentence.

"Exactly." At least someone else here was smart.

Steve ran a hand through his hair as he closed the panel. Mavis was right. And it was frustrating. Not because she was smarter than him. Well, maybe his frustration was a little because of that. But it was mostly because they were stuck there. Without a way out.